Chapter 25

Special wala thank you to my Suppu for helping me where I was stuck, and Sri and Subs for their inputs ❤️

....

The waves crashed over the rocks below, the night sky twinkling above them as the winds blew gently, soft caresses on the faces of the crowd that were awake at this hour of the night, the silence a comforting one, sounds of waves and wind the only company to the lonely.

Raavi curled her arms around Shiva's biceps, resting her head on his shoulder as he pulled her closer, legs dangling over the cement seatings above the ocean as they watched the night sky colour into shades of blue and purple. 

"It's so beautiful." Raavi whispered, and Shiva placed a feather-light kiss on her hair, rubbing her arms as she shivered from the winds blowing across Somnath beach. 

"I wish we could stay like this forever." She admitted, tilting to look up at him. 

"Mai kaha jaa raha hoon?" Shiva shrugged, "Tu jaa rahi hai kahi?" 

"Nahi. Bas dil mein tha, toh bol diya." 

He shook his head at her random thoughts, but he loved that about her. She spoke what was on her mind, unlike himself, who was wired to think 10 steps ahead about reactions and expectations before even putting across his opinions or requests. 

Shiva had let go of that habit, learning to put himself above others, but there was still a lingering question that he had been meaning to ask Raavi, and he wasn't sure it would end well. 

"Mere dil mein bhi kuch hai. Bol du?" 

Raavi nodded and watched Shiva sigh, physically struggling to get whatever it was, off his chest. It had to be something that was bothering him, or he wouldn't be so fidgety. 

"Raavi," Shiva eased her hands off his arm to face her completely, "tu apna future kaise dekhti hai?" 

"Kaise matlab?" She asked, confused. "Tujhe pata toh hai. Tere saath." 

"Meri baat sunn," He picked on his nails, unsure, before continuing, "Shaadi sirf 2 logo ke beech ka rishta nahi hota. Shaadi mein insaan naye rishte jod leta hai. Aur usse woh rishte nibhaane padte hai." 

"Shiva, I know that, darling." Raavi put a hand on his cheek, "Mai ye sab jaanti hu." 

"Let me finish, sweetheart." Shiva interrupted her, "Mai teri nahi, apni baat kar raha hoon." 

Raavi looked on, confused as Shiva continued. "Mami teri maa jaisi hai. Par tu reh legi aise insaan ke saath, zindagi bhar, jiski teri maa-samaan Maasi se kabhi nahi bann paayegi?"

Raavi let his words sink in, the realisation settling in as she stared at him blankly. She knew that Shiva didn't like her Maasi, hated would be more appropriate. But did he really dislike her so much, that he was putting their whole life and relationship on the line?

No, he wasn't breaking up with her, was he? He was just telling her that he couldn't and won't stand being around her Maasi. But how would it feel, every time she came home to visit and a certain tension would always pertain in the house, just because 2 adults couldn't put aside their dislike for each other? 

Raavi sighed, and slipped her palms into his, holding their hands against her chest. "Tu mere liye Maasi se dosti kar sakta hai, Shiva? Sirf mere liye? Please?" 

Shiva let out a small, tired smile, before disentangling their hands. "Tu kahe toh chaand-taare tod ke le aau tere liye. Par ye nahi ho paayega mujhse, Raavi."