Chapter 14

TRIGGER WARNING: Mature content, violence, mentions of physical abuse 

Part 1 is Mature, Part 2 has violence. Both separated by '.....' 

.....

Raavi threw away her books in a fit of anger, wondering who on earth invented this wretched subject and why she ever chose it. She stared at her Math textbook, with the intention of setting it on fire, but remembered that she still had to score a 90 for her scholarship to be valid.

"I. HATE. THIS." She pushed all the books around her aside, and grumbled something underneath her breath. Until she realised she lived with 3 engineering students.

She picked up all her books in a stack, and held all of them, nudging open Shiva's door with her feet.

"Shiva?" She peeked inside, to see him studying with his own textbooks, scribbling something into a notebook.

"Bol." He said, without looking up.

"Mujhe maths sikha de, please. Nahi samajh aa raha kuch bhi." She whined, and Shiva looked up to see her carrying a stack of books as tall as her upper body.

"Leke aa kitaab." Shiva said, and she walked in with her stack of books, "Sirf textbook aur notebook chipkali, sab nahi."

Raavi tossed her remaining books onto her mattress, and sat down next to Shiva, opening the chapters she couldn't understand for the life of her.

"Ek ye compound interest, probability, aur trigonometry." She said, flipping through her textbook.

"Okay. Easy peasy. We'll start with compound interest, theek hai?" He took her textbook, and she scooted closer to him on the bed.

Raavi looked at what he explained, very patiently, but it was hard. She wasn't able to understand the topic, he was explaining it very well, but she still didn't get it. She was trying very hard to understand it in the first go because she didn't want him to think she was dumb, but math wasn't her cup of tea.

"Toh ye step ke baad, which formula will you apply?" Shiva asked her, pointing at the sum in front of her. "Kaunsa formula lagega, Raavi?"

Raavi stared from the book, to Shiva and back at the book. "I don't know."

"Arre!" Shiva exclaimed exasperatedly, "Abhi toh bataya tujhe 2 minute pehle. Ye basic 8th standard maths hai, chipkali. Use your brains, na!"

"Dekh, tujhe nahi explain karna hai toh mat kar." Raavi closed her books, clearly very upset. "Taane mat maar mujhe jab mujhe already samajh nahi aata. Nahi hu mai dumb. Tu rehne de. Mai akele hi padh lungi."

Saying so, she grabbed her books with the intention of leaving, but Shiva tugged her hand back, making her sit down next to him again.

"Accha, I'm sorry." He rubbed her back to calm her down. "Tu upset mat ho. Mai 10 baar, 20 baar explain karunga, lekin muh kholke puch toh sahi mujhe, warna mujhe kaise pata chalega if you've understood or not. I thought tujhe samajh aa raha tha. Tu bindaas tok mujhe, okay?"

Raavi nodded, and sat back down to learn three chapters overnight, and when she started asking questions, he explained it to her by different methods accordingly, and the light bulb in her head went off as she finally understood the chapters her professors didn't bother explaining properly.