Chapter 26

Penultimate chapter, enjoy!

...

Raavi walked through the door, and Shiva paused in the middle of his conversation over the laptop to look at her, hiding something behind his back that she didn't notice. 

"Aise kya ghoor raha hai laptop aur mujhe? Email aaya kya?" 

"Kaunsa?" 

"Arre woh tune internship ke liye apply kiya tha," Raavi set her bags down and poured herself a glass of water, "uska email waapas aaya?" 

"Haa. Dopahar ko." 

"And?!" She asked, excitedly. 

"I got the job." Shiva smiled, and Raavi excitedly ran to him, pulling him into a hug. 

"Oh my god, I knew it! Pehli naukri, I'm so excited!" She exclaimed, and Shiva chuckled. 

"Khush toh aise ho rahi hai jaise teri naukri lag gayi hai." 

"Shut up! Iss baat pe meetha banta hai!" She ruffled through her bag for a chocolate and fed him a piece. "I'm so happy!" 

"Thank you, chipkali." Shiva broke off a tiny piece and fed her back, "Waise, tera woh scholarship ka kya hua, tere dream university ka?" 

"Nahi mila." Her face fell, and Shiva kept a hand on her head. 

"It's alright, dil pe mat le. You might have something else written for you." 

 "But I did get a paid internship, sort of, at the Children's Hospital as a psychiatrist. Mere professor ne meri reference di hai." Her face lit up, and he couldn't help but smile. 

"Agar unhe mai pasand aati hu, they'll give me the job and I'll get to work under the head of the Psychiatry department as a junior assistant. They needed someone to fill the spot." 

"That's great, darling!" Shiva exclaimed, stuffing some chocolate in her mouth, "Acchi khabar mein meetha khaana chahiye." 

Shiva admired the girl in front of her, who was now chuckling and struggling to eat the bar of chocolate that he had stuffed in her mouth. 

This was the view he was going to have for the rest of his life-

"Aise kya dekh raha hai?" She shrugged, and peeked into the laptop in front of them, smiling at the little old woman on the screen.

"Hi Kaki! Kaise ho?"

"Mai theek hoon, Raavi beta. Kangaroo-session teri naukri ke liye." Suman wished her, and Raavi thanked her. 

"Aur tu kya Kaki-Kaki bol rahi hai abhi bhi?" Suman said disapprovingly, "Maa bolne ki prak-tish kar le!"

"Kya....Matlab...?" Raavi asked flustered, and Shiva glared at his mother from over Raavi's shoulder.

"Woh.... Mera matlab hai...." Suman sputtered, "Kabhi na kabhi toh Maa bolna hoga na, phyoo-char mein? Toh abhi se shuru kar de. Ya phir mere bete ko dhokha dene ka plen-ing kar rahi hai?!" She exclaimed dramatically.

"Aisa nahi hai, Kaki." Raavi assured, sitting down next to Shiva as Suman glared, "Woh..... Aaj tak Maa kisi ko bola nahi hai na....Aadat nahi hai."

Shiva rubbed her back gently as she fiddled with her fingers, and Suman smiled softly, "Chal koi baat nahi. Tu ten-sun mat le ispe zyaada, jab bhi tera mann kare. Theek che?"

Raavi nodded and smiled back sheepishly, "Aapke alawa Maa kisi ko bol bhi nahi sakti. Dande se maar doge aap."

Suman let out a hearty laugh, as Shiva asked her to go freshen up after her long day at college. Just as he heard the door to the bathroom close, he pulled out the small, blue, velvet box that he had hidden behind the pillow.