Chapter 16

Shiva walked around the house, calling for Raavi continuously as he rummaged through drawers and items scattered on the table and sofa.

"Yaar Raavi, jawaab toh de!" He sighed, stuffing the papers back in the drawer.

"Kis liye chilla raha hai? Woh Mahi ke ghar gayi hai na!" Gaurav said, rearranging the drawer and closing it.

"Arre haa, bhul gaya." Shiva bit his tongue, and took his phone out to call Raavi, but she didn't pick up.

He tried again, but she had either kept it on silent or was ignoring his call.

Did I do something to piss her off? Abe pagal, if she was pissed off, you'd know she's pissed off.

He scrolled through his contacts and called Mahi. "Mahi, sun na!"

"Bolo devar sahab!"

"Raavi hai kya udhar? Woh mera wallet uske bag mein reh gaya shaayad aur mujhe urgently-"

"Raavi toh nahi aayi abhi tak."

"Nahi aayi matlab? Woh aadhe ghante pehle nikli hai, abhi tak aa jaana chahiye tha usse."

"Pata nahi, Shiva. Koi kaam aa gaya hoga usse, mera phone bhi nahi uthaya usne."

"Accha, theek hai. Woh aaye toh mujhe bata. Chal, bye."

Shiva disconnected the call, a sense of restlessness coursing through his body. "Kaha chali gayi ye chipkali?" He muttered to himself, grabbing his umbrella and stepping out to find her, calling her once again, and she didn't pick up, again.

Woh theek hai na? Phone kyu nahi utha rahi mera? Kuch ho toh nahi gaya-

Nahi. Aisa mat soch, phone shaayad bag mein hai aur baarish bhi toh ho rahi hai. Par usse pohonch toh jaana chahiye tha abhi tak Mahi ke ghar, kaunsa 900 km door hai uska ghar?

Kuch nahi hoga Shiva. Tu bas dhundh usse.

He wouldn't have given much thought to her reaching late, attributing it to the traffic during monsoons, but she wasn't picking up her phone either, and that had him worried.

Shiva walked swiftly on the road towards Mahi's house, looking here and there to see where on earth she landed herself into, walking past a café with a handful of people in it at the moment, a jewellery shop, a supermarket, a flower shop-

Shiva stopped in his tracks, registering his surroundings, and retraced his steps, stopping in front of the café.

There she was, sitting on a table, opposite a guy who was vaguely familiar, sipping on her favourite hot chocolate he could only assume, laughing away at something Shiva didn't want to know.

Something pricked in his chest, and Shiva looked away, before looking back to confirm it was her. And it was, no doubt. He didn't know what to do. He wasn't doubting her, but, didn't she essentially lie about going to Mahi's house when she really wanted to come here?

Shiva hated lies. It was precisely why he would always tell Raavi truthfully about everything when she asked, or even the few times she didn't. Because he didn't like to hide things. Especially not from the woman he was so madly in-

He chuckled dryly at his fate and looked away. But that wasn't what was bothering Shiva.

Shiva didn't care that Raavi was a café with some random guy, she could do whatever she wanted, but why did she lie? He couldn't understand why she didn't simply tell him, at least he would have known where she was and wouldn't have to leave searching for her while his heart wouldn't stop muttering stupid things.