Chapter 3

"I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

"One stage of the journey is over, another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed." said the wizard with conviction in his tone.

"Edoras?" protested Gimli. "That is no short distance!" Aragorn nodded his head in agreement with the dwarf.

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king."

Gandalf stopped mid step turning his head, that looked so small now without the hat. Y/n kind of missed it.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured." sated he and kept walking.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested--?" grumbled Gimli, once more speaking the pirates hidden thoughts. Then suddenly the trees around them creaked and a low rumble erupted from the surrounding woods.

Gimli stopped in his track and looked around afraid quickly changing his tone to a softer more whimper like one.

"I mean, charming...quite charming forest." the dwarf added a very unconvincing smile though it seemed to be enough for the trees as the rumbling ceased.

"I agree." chimed in the pirate. "I cant in good conscious leave them behind."

Gandalf turned two the upset human and dwarf.

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

Aragorn chuckled.

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend. You still speak in riddles." Gandalf laughed out loud and y/n would have joined had she not still been filled with upset.

"A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." explained Gandalf making Gimli call out.

"Strong?! Oh, thats good." he said worry heavy on his brow and a nervous smile on his lips.

"So, stop your fretting, Master Dwarf." calmed the wizard as they finally broke out of the dark forest and onto the grassy terrain once more.

"Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be."

Y/n rolled her eyes before she felt a gentle elbow in her side, mindful of her wounds. With her attention peaked she bent down to the dwarf who had done the poking.

"This new Gandalfs more grumpy than the old one." he joked and y/n could not stop a smirk from building on her face.

Gandalf, if he had heard Gimlis comment, ignored it and whistled loudly two times and a white steed came running at them from a nearby hill.

"That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Breathed Legolas in wonder.

"Shadowfax. He is the lord of all horses ...and has been my friend through many dangers."

They all went over to their own horses, Legolas stayed close to y/n even though they werent riding together. She approached the horse where Aragorn already said atop. She put her hand on the saddle and one foot into the iron to pull herself up. Her back hurt from the strain of pulling herself up and her ribs from having to curve with her body. Legolas was quick to help her up but instead of thanks she felt rage bubbling in her stomach. As soon as she said she grabbed the elves wrist and removed it from her waist where it had rested before with more force than was necessary.

"I'm alright!" she snapped and carelessly dropped his hand turning her head and avoiding his gaze. Legolas was shocked. Had he done something wrong? He had only wanted to help so why was she acting this way. A cold feeling settled in his body and he sent a confused and worried look to Aragorn who was already looking his way. But sadly, the man could offer no help, only give an encouraging smile and nod. Legolas furrowed his brows. The loss of Boromir, Merry and Pippin must really have hit her deep.

He swallowed a lump in his throat.

"Alright." he turned to the other horse and helped Gimli settle before getting atop himself as they started riding with Gandalf leading their path.

They rode in silence for a while as y/n cradled her side gently caressing the aching flesh. The vibrations of the horses hooves hitting the ground sent a wave of pain through her body with each step. soon Aragorn struck up a conversation with a hesitant tone.

"What was that back there?" he asked.

"What was what?" she feigned ignorance.

"You know what I speak of." the ranger simply said. Y/n stayed silent already preparing for more prying questions but too her surprise Aragorn stayed quiet waiting for her to answer. She bit her lip thinking of a way to respond.

"Hes starting to think me weak." she responded after a long while.

"Why do you think so?" Y/n scoffed and did not answer. "Accepting help does not make you weak, y/n."

Again, the woman sneered.

"If that be true many people I knew should still be alive."

"But with not accepting help even more would have passed. Are you not always ready to save the others?"

"Thats different!"

"How so?"

She opened her mouth to respond but quickly closed it again.

Because youre the one doing the saving right? You just dont want to be helped yourself. The pirate scoffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest until she finally responded.

"I've had enough help these past few days."

"That does not mean we have to stop. He means no insult; he is concerned is all."

"Well, there is no need to be. Im fine. I've been hurt worse before."

"Overcoming pain once does not make you immune."

Y/n bit her lip and ceased answering, Aragorn too stayed quiet now. Unbeknownst to her but not the Ranger, Legolas had heard every word of their conversation due to his elven ears. Though he understood her better now and was grateful for his friends help it did not do much to ease his mind as the thought of her upset at him, no matter how miniscule still upset him as well. Which the dwarf noticed.

"You seem troubled. What seems to be the issue?" The elf hesitated wanting to choose only the right words.

"Y/n appears to be mad with me. She feels that I think her weak because Im helping her. I find myself before a difficult crossway as I dont wish to upset her further but seeing her in pain feels like an even worse solution."

The dwarf huffed deep in thought.

"Youre right, youve found yourself before a difficult choice. I think that it be best if you were honest to the lass." Honest? thought Legolas. But he hadnt been lying to her, had he?

"I mean to confess your feelings to her!"

~~~^~~~^~~~^~~~^^~~~^~~~^~~~^~~~~

Oh oh. Love advice. That always end well! DOESNT IT?!

~1200 words