𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐕𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐊𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 : 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐋 𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐒
— CHAPTER SIXTEEN ❀

. . . the embrace of coldness

Zero couldn't believe what was happening

Zero couldn't believe what was happening. His old sensei was in front of him, pointing an anti-vampire weapon at him. Clenching his jaw, he tried to hold back the scream that wanted to escape him. 

The injury made by the anti-vampire weapon was intense. Any small movement made his body experience a burning sensation and it coursed throughout his entire body.  A scream emitted from him and it scared Mio. She had never heard Zero express any pain, physically or emotionally. 

"Even if it is a light brush, it is painful infliction. You should know this Zero. The bullet is imbued with magic," Yagari explained, speaking around the cigarette in his mouth.

Sighing, he removed the cigarette from his mouth. "Have your lost your awareness? What you are meant to live for?" 

Mio moved closer to Zero, wary of the interaction between the two males. Hearing the movement of the anti-vampire gun, she placed herself in front of Zero. 

"I won't let you hurt him," Mio declared, staring down at the older male. 

"And if he falls into E Class?" Yagari asked, narrowing his eyes at her determination to keep Zero out of harm's way. 

"He won't," 

Zero pushed Mio aside. The lavender-haired girl pursed her lips at him, unhappy with his actions. "That's enough," he lowly spoke, never once looking at Mio. His eyes were only focused on Yagari. 

Kaien rushed down the cobblestone of the pool fountain, waving his arms in desperation to gain attention his way. "What are you doing?!" He screeched, "Vampire hunters like you are the reason why I say I hate them," 

Toga merely blinked in Kaien's direction, a hint of annoyance shifting his facial features. "You should be the last to say that," He muttered and reached up to move his cigarette away from his lips. 

"Oh my poor babies, you're going to catch a cold. Tsk, don't you have manners, Yagari?" Kaien's voice transitioned from soft to scolding. Behind his back, Toga rolled his eyes and mouthed Kaien's words in mockery. 

Mio's lips curled up for a few seconds before she dropped them to avoid showing Toga she was amused. Grabbing her father's hand, she allowed him to help her out of the water. Her body immediately tensed as the night breeze fluttered towards her. 

Hugging herself, she tried to gather any warmth to prevent the chattering of her teeth and shivering of her body. 

"You're a vampire hunter?" Mio questioned, peering up at the taller male. 

"Toga Yagari, vampire hunter, and Zero's old sensei," He answered before placing the cigarette back into his mouth. 

"Do you usually greet old students by shooting them?"