23

"How could they know?!" I yell and throw the remote at the wall it shatters turning the box off.

"How do they know what?" I jump and turn seeing ms Delgato rubbing her eyes and sitting up in the chair re adjusting the jacket over her.

"They found out, about the baby." I sit on the end of her bed my head in my hands. "what did you expect? She was in surgery for 14 hours they would have to find out"

I sigh and take Nanis hand. she's still grey and pale, only spots of color are the scars and bumps and bruises.

I look at her arm. I see little circles sort of bumps all on her shoulder and forearm.

"What are these" I ask worried. she stands and takes her hand. looking and examining the spots. she nods and sits.

"She told you about her father right" she asks sadly and I nod. "these are cigarette marks. he would stomp in the house a cigarette or cigar in his mouth, drunk out of his mind, Nani hated that. she would tell him to stop smoking and drinkin and that it would kill em. He would get pissy and hit her and burn her. She's the strongest girl I ever met."

She tilts Nanis head and tucks her hair behind her ear, revealing her neck. it has a scar across it with stitches. i gasp "what is that"

"That's from when she was sitting on the couch and wouldn't give the remote to him. he ran over and took a blade and cut her neck. it was bleeding so bad, I was so scared she would die. we took her in and they stitched her up. that's when I knew it was time to leave him."

She puts Nanis hair back and sighs "she's just so amazing." I whisper.

Nanis pov.

I open my eyes again now in a hospital room. my surroundings are a tv, machines, and white walls with little flowers.

I look to the bed and see someone laying there. I walk over and see her face. Again it's me. I have scars all down my face and bruises. a bandage around my head. on the monitor is a picture of my baby.I take my hand and cover my mouth. I start to cry. really really cry, snot and coughing. I sink onto the floor and bang my fists on the ground not breathing just gasping for air. "PLEASE" I scream and no one can hear me.

"LET ME LIVE. I NEED TO, MY BABY" I cry and shout and my voice just echoes back into my ears.

This is not how I wanted my life to be. I wanted to be smart and go to Stanford and have a life, but I now know. I may not ever get to experience life as it was again.