Chapter 1

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑀𝐴𝑅𝐼𝑂𝑁𝐸𝑇𝑇𝐸
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You do not remember the day you came into this world, back then you would celebrate your birthday with the old woman you lived with.

But you had long forgotten what day it was so ever since you started living with Douma, you would celebrate your birthday each year on the day you first got here.

You wonder why you needed to celebrate your date of birth when you do not know the woman who had given birth to you. Neither was the man who deflowered her, the man you were supposed to call father.

You do not remember their faces and you do not know their names. So in a sense you have no lingering feelings towards the people you do not know, regardless if you share their blood or not.

On the day of your nineteenth birthday marks the ten years you have been living here with Douma, he had been smiling since you woke up, along with the boxes on the bed.

"Are those..."

"Gifts!" he exclaimed, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Y/n-chan, they're my gifts for you. Let's open them."

When you turned ten, he gifted you with toys and dolls. On your eleventh birthday, he gifted you with instruments when he learned you like to learn one. On your twelfth birthday, he gifted you with different kinds of expensive perfume. Since you turned thirteen, he gifted you with different kinds of kimonos, hair ornaments, jewellery and shoes.

This time, his gifts were the same. Kimonos and other ornaments, they were pretty and gleaming when the lights reflected on them.

"Let's discard the ones you have outgrown and the ones who are no longer the trend." He took a kimono and a hairpin along with a set of earrings and sandals before he stood up. "Wear this today, Y/n-chan. I specifically took it because I imagined how much you'll look good in this kimono."

You nodded, taking them before you excused yourself and left to change. Ever since you were young, Douma had always been the one to pick which kimono you'll wear.

You were glad back then, since you were a child and you felt happy playing dress-up and wearing beautiful kimonos for the first time in your life.

But as you grow older, you hoped you could have more freedom in choosing your kimono. Yet, you cannot say no to him. You did once, and it angered him. So you learned not to go against him, after all Douma seems a lot happy today.

"I wanted to wear the red one though," you muttered before you look down on the purple kimono you're wearing. "But this looks pretty."

After making sure nothing is out of place, you came out of the shoji screen and saw Douma checking out a hair ornament before he looked up at you.

"Does it look good?" you asked, turning around as you showed him the kimono.

His eyes are wide in eagerness and a smile made its way to his face before he stood up. "Y/n-chan, you look beautiful!"

You giggled at the way he gushed, he seems so genuine without any hint of false façade. You had always found his compliments candid. Because Douma had been so good at counterfeiting an emotion that fooling a young girl like you was an easy feat for him.