Chapter 26

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑀𝐴𝑅𝐼𝑂𝑁𝐸𝑇𝑇𝐸
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Human beings consist of heart, mind and spirit. You didn't know where you heard it, perhaps in a book you've read a long time ago or someone had told you a long long time ago. Human beings are fragile things held prisoner of time, and when death comes to collect their mind and spirit, their mortal bodies like empty shells are the only ones left.

"So this is what a human heart looks like," you muttered, looking at the internal organ resting on your palm. You didn't really know what it looks like, because the people you've consumed had been absorbed inside your body.

"Fascinating, isn't it?"

"Not quite," you said, looking at Douma. "It's just cold."

"What are you planning to do with that, Y/n-chan?" Douma asked, his eyes held a look of interest, though you cannot tell if it was genuine or feigned.

"A human's mind and spirit are intangible, you cannot hold it. But a heart is different."

You smiled at Douma, but your smile held something sinister that made Douma reciprocate the upturn of your lips with his own sinister smile.

"Are you curious, Douma?"

"I'm dying with curiosity, Y/n-chan."

You had that thought, it was the thought about how you can use your blood demon art. Douma said it's special to every demon. It was said to hold the weight of their past, unbeknownst to them, their blood demon art would take shape akin to the nature of their past life as a human.

Douma's blood demon art is that of ice, perhaps because even as a human, he doesn't feel anything. As cold as ice, as numbing as it was. His emotions were non-existent, all fabricated.

You, on the other hand, had been his marionette for as long as you remember. And perhaps that strong draw towards dolls had made you realize what your blood demon art would become.

Lying on the table is a wooden doll dressed in a crimson red kimono, its hair as black as the night, its eyes were empty sockets but its lips are as red as blood. It's a beautiful wooden doll that Douma had gifted you with sometime ago.

Who would have thought it would prove useful now? You had not paid much attention to the wooden doll before.

Douma watched with amusement in his eyes how you put the heart inside the doll's chest before bathing it with your blood that seeped through the wooden doll.

"Wake up, doll," you whispered in its ear before leaning back.

Not a moment later it started to creak and then it began to move. Slowly, it sat up and then it was standing. Had it not been for the empty socket and wooden body, it would have looked like a human.

"Turn around," you commanded, and like a stringed puppet, the wooden doll turned around.

"Bow down," you commanded once again and the wooden doll bowed in front of you.

You walked behind it before whispering something in its ear, as if Douma couldn't hear. Your eyes flickered up at him as you slowly held your hairpin, taking it off as your hair fell down.