Chapter 44

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑀𝐴𝑅𝐼𝑂𝑁𝐸𝑇𝑇𝐸
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You have been utilizing your Shingetsu outside for some time now. Aside from collecting information necessary for your plans, you have also used them to collect your food. You can't rely on Douma all the time and you have learned how much more satisfying it is to eat your own hunt.

But perhaps doing it so often made the Demon Slayer Corps finally take notice of the incidents that you had been causing.

"For the past ten years since I assumed this role, numerous of my children have gone missing," a young man, no more than twenty years old, spoke. He sits in the dimly lit room, with only the full moon as a source of illumination.

"So many young Demon Hunters have vanished without a trace."

In front of the young man are two men, considerably older than him, kneeling down with their heads lowered in respect.

"I have a feeling that we are dealing with a high-ranking demon. Do be careful in this mission."

"We will, Oyakata-sama!" The two men said in unison before vanishing in thin air, leaving the young man alone before a tear fell down his eye, knowing that he doesn't have long to live in this world and he shall pass down the title to his son as the new Oyakata-sama sooner than later.

The Demon Hunters who left the estate were not really that close to each other. Perhaps that was the reason why they were sent to this mission together, so they could work things out with their poor communication skills.

But they are opposite of each other and they cannot be put together.

The Flame and Water Hashira.

"So..." it was the Flame Hashira who spoke first, otherwise his lips would have gone dry without speaking for too long. "Do you think we're dealing with a Lower or Upper Moon?"

"Doesn't matter," the Water Hashira said. And like water, he is the more calm and reserved one of the two. "We'll decapitate them by sunrise."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say. Just don't go dying on me."

The Water Hashira didn't speak, but the Flame Hashira with his senses as sharp as a cat's was able to hear the silent scoff the Water Hashira just let out.

"Do you think that demon was behind the missing young Demon Hunters?" the Flame Hashira asked again.

"Probably,"

"Do you think they consumed those young ones?"

"Most likely,"

The Flame Hashira was starting to notice the fact that he's the only one trying to make a decent conversation here while the Water Hashira isn't even speaking a full sentence.

"What do you think that demon did to those young ones? I heard they found a Demon Hunter with a missing heart last time."

"I don't know," the Water Hashira answered. Their conversation would have been over after that, but he decided to add some more. "Instead of asking me, why don't you ask that demon once we've captured it?"