Chapter 28

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑀𝐴𝑅𝐼𝑂𝑁𝐸𝑇𝑇𝐸
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It hadn't been long since you learned to wield a Blood Demon Art. Douma said each ability is the manifestation of the demon's past life as a human. You get it now, looking at the wooden doll sitting in front of you reminded you of yourself in a memory that's starting to fade.

"Wooden doll, huh," you mumbled before you looked to the side to see Douma. "Can I go outside? I need to get something."

"Something?" Douma asked, walking up to you before his eyes traveled to your wooden doll. It has its head lowered down, like it was sleeping. He still doesn't know how complex your Blood Demon Art is, even if it seems like a pretty simple ability to control wooden dolls with your blood, Douma couldn't shake the feeling that there is more to it than just a pretty simple ability.

You have always been quite complex, even as a child. Your way of thinking in particular baffled Douma before.

"Are you going outside to get more wooden dolls?"

You were a bit surprised that he already caught on but the surprise didn't last as you nodded your head.

"I want to try all sorts of things and explore this ability," you said, looking at the wooden doll across you. "If I want to challenge a kizuki and become—"

You were cut off when you felt a hand on top of your head and it didn't register to you until a few seconds later that Douma was patting your head.

"How adorable," he said and when you glanced at him you saw that he's smiling. He had mastered the art of feign emotions that you could no longer tell if that smile was genuine or not. Until you realized that you just contemplated his smile could be genuine because it was a bit different than usual.

"It's so adorable, seeing you working hard to refine your Blood Demon Art. I almost want to help you."

He almost had you with his feigned sincerity until he said that and your expression changed.

"Almost?"

"I'm afraid I have to leave for a while."

"You're leaving again?"

Douma walked around and opened a drawer, taking out a pouch full of gold coins. "You can go outside to get your wooden dolls. I may already be gone by the time you return."

"Where are you going?" you asked when Douma handed you the pouch. He still hasn't answered your question when you asked another one again. "Will you be gone for long? When will you come—"

You stopped yourself when you realize you've been asking way too many questions. Not only that but you found yourself holding on the sleeve of his clothes preventing him from taking a step farther.

You didn't notice the change in you, until this very moment. When you come to the awareness that you might have already attached yourself to Douma that his absence made you feel something you knew you've never felt before.

"Y/n-chan," he said, placing his hand on yours that was still holding on to his sleeve. "This is no time to be stimulating me like this."