Chapter 42

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑀𝐴𝑅𝐼𝑂𝑁𝐸𝑇𝑇𝐸
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You had met Akaza before, when he was still the Upper Moon Two. But you didn't feel this kind of intimidation towards Akaza.

You then concluded one thing.

This man is far stronger than any of the kizuki. He is on another level altogether. He doesn't even compare to Akaza or to Douma. He is Upper Moon One because he is the strongest, beside that man.

"Koku...shibo..." you repeated his name in a mutter, trying it out loud.

What did he ask you again? He said something about the moon. Tsukimi? Moon-viewing? He asked you if you came here to view the moon as well. So he's been standing here gazing up to view the moon.

"I came here..." you started but averted your gaze to the side. You had almost said that you came here with Douma, but instead you said, "I got separated."

"From who?" he asked.

"Douma,"

"Douma?" He said it as though he was trying to remember who Douma is. "Douma. The one...who defeated...Akaza."

So he remembered Akaza but not Douma, you thought to yourself. Not knowing that Akaza had once challenged this man in a blood battle, only to lose and be spared.

"Did Douma...turn you..."

You nodded. You looked back at him. It's really hard to discern his expression. You don't know what he's thinking either.

"Douma...he always...does things as he...pleases," he said, as if turning you was something he did because he was bored. And maybe he did, but it's different now and he's starting to make it clear to you. "That's why...that man...does not like Douma..."

"That man?" you asked but you have a vague answer. That man, they always refer to him as that man. The progenitor of all demons.

Instead of telling you that, however, Kokushibo continued. "What's your...Blood Demon Art...little one?"

"I can control wooden dolls," you answered before you started explaining how your Blood Demon Art works. "When I put a human heart and my blood in a wooden doll, I can control them. It becomes a being that is neither dead nor alive. It can kill but cannot be killed."

"And...how did you use it...to become...Lower Moon One?"

"When I challenged the previous Lower Moon One in a blood battle, I commanded my Shingetsu to wield a nichirin sword..." you trailed off when you noticed Kokushibo held the hilt of his sword before you continued. "...and it decapitated the previous Lower Moon One."

"You made...your wooden doll...wield a nichirin sword...that only Demon Hunters...can wield?"

You nodded slowly before Kokushibo took a step towards you.

You didn't know what he was going to do. You thought he was going to unleash his sword but when he lifted his hand, you were taken aback by his action.

You felt his hand on top of your head and your eyes widened.

"You did...well..." he said before he lowered his hand to his side while you were still in a sense of astonishment at what he just did. "Your Blood Demon Art...will be very useful...to that man..."