Targets

"Stop it!"

"Stop it!"

"I'm not touching you."

"If you don't get your greasy sausage finger out of my face, I'm going to bite it off."

"Ten bucks says she does it." Alex challenged as they joined me at the railing.

"I'll take that bet." I accepted as we speculated the stupidity that was Mike's boredom.

"Come on, where's your follow-through?" Mike taunted as he poked Lacey's shoulder. She grew tired of his teasing, so she lunged at his hand. The sudden movement caused Mike to jump back and trip over the coffee table, screaming like a child while he went down.

I felt my sides split as Alex laughed next to me. Mike saw us finding amusement in his failure and flipped us off.

"I'll bite that finger off too." Lacey threatened.

"I heard a crash. Is everything okay?" Jacklynn asked as she walked out of her room.

"Everything is fine, besides Mike," I reassured her.

"What happened to Mike?" She asked.

"He thought it was a good idea to poke Lacey when she's working," Alex informed her.

"Smart move, dude." Jacklynn tsked, and she shook her head.

"I don't deserve to be humiliated and scolded. I'm going to go see Jamie in the kitchen." Mike stood and stormed off to the kitchen.

"That's where you go when you want to be scolded and humiliated." I pointed out.

"Shush," Mike demanded as he disappeared behind the kitchen door.

'Are you sure you guys aren't related?" Jacklynn asked.

"Pretty sure," Lacey answered, half paying attention.

"Any updates?" I inquired as I sat next to Lacey. You could practically see the gears turning in her head as she typed away. The code looked like something out of the Matrix to me. I never knew how she understood any of it. She tried to teach me once. I had to buy her a new laptop.

"Just a little bit."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"The target is moving closer to town," Lacey answered.

"Where are they now?"

"Right there. The target is a mile from the first signs of the town, like a gas station. But with the how fast they're moving, they'll be in town within a few hours."

"So, what you're telling me that our already small window is closing quickly?" I rubbed my face.

"Yes."

"Looks like we better roll."

"Before coffee?" Alex whined.

"We can stop by Starbucks on the way," I suggested.