Once Upon A Dream

I shoved clothes into my bag as Naomi stood in the doorway, staring at me.

"How long will you be gone?" She asked.

"I don't know."

"Will you come back?"

I froze as I held a bunch of clothes.

"I don't know," I admitted.

"Why do you keep doing this to yourself?" She asked as she entered the room.

"Because, Munchkin, it's the only way I can afford to keep our family afloat."

"It's all I knew."

"I could pick up more shifts at the diner, and you could get a normal job. One that leaves me almost certain that you'll come back home."

"My goal is that you won't have to work at that stinky diner anymore, little sis. I want us to raise enough money to put you through school so you can feed the world your amazing cooking." I smiled as I ruffled her unruly blonde hair.

"It's not the same when you're not here. And what would be the point of me pursuing my dreams if I achieved them through you dying or getting hurt?"

Her head hung as I sat my duffle bag on my bed.

"Aye, I'll be alright."

"What if you're not?"

"You've been stuck with me since you were itty bitty. You're not getting rid of me that easily." I chuckled.

"Technically, I came into your life. I'm younger, and I'm adopted."

"So, do you think I'm going to leave you all alone in the world?"

"That's what it feels like every time you walk out of that door."

I sighed and sat on my bed, patting the space next to me.

"So, understand something, little munchkin."

"Yeah?"

"This is all I know how to do. If I don't do this, we have nothing."

"You mean you have nothing."

"Not true. I have you." I chuckled.

"Dude, this is serious? What if you die? Then you won't be around to take care of me. What then? And I wouldn't want the money if you weren't around to see me chase my dreams with it."

"I won't die, little munchkin."

"But what if you do?"

"If I do, you better leave some scones out from my ghost. Or else I will make the lights flicker."