An End To The Wicked

TW: Heavily implied sexual violence and discussion of human trafficking. Please read with caution.

Our cars sped down the road to the complex as my mind raced with thoughts.

"Who? Who did this? Why did they do it? Was this because of us? What would be waiting for us at the end of this road? What happened to the occupants? Would they be experiencing another tragedy in their lives?"

How much more trauma would everyone go through before the happy ending?

"No one is picking up the phone," Jacklynn informed us as she redialed the number for the dozenth time.

"Here." I handed her a gun from the case. She looked between me and the weapon for a moment.

"Are you a good shot?"

"I won't miss." She answered as she turned the safety off.

She was out for blood.

Good.

That was the only way someone was going to pay for this.

The doors to the complex were locked and barricaded, so we had to kick them down. A series of panicked yelps from the occupants sounded from inside.

"Good, some of them are still safe."

Once we busted the doors down, we entered the complex. A group of the occupants huddled together in a corner.

I could not imagine what they were thinking. The thought of it made me want to vomit. But I could not lose it now. I was the leader, and we were waiting for backup.

My father had stayed back with my mother and Alex to call backup. I called them to let them know of the situation.

"Be careful, son. I love you." My parents said into the phone.

"I love you too, Ma and Pa."

"We're sending reinforcements now."

"Thank you."

We hung up, and I faced my mafia.

"I'm going to check Piper's office. You guys, search this place. If you find an occupant, bring them downstairs for a headcount. If it's someone who does not belong here, shoot first, ask questions later." Everyone nodded, and I walked away. But I stopped when I heard a set of footsteps behind me.

"What are you doing?" I asked Jacklynn.

"I'm going with you."

"No, you're not."