Too Late For Me

With my scream muffled, I began to fight

With my scream muffled, I began to fight. I brought my elbow down on my attacker's arm before connecting that elbow to what I was hoping was their jaw. I heard a groan, and someone stumbled back.

"Jesus Christ, woman." A familiar voice cried.

"Jamie?" I whisper-shouted.

"I think you broke my nose."

"That's what you get for sneaking into my room. Have you forgotten what I've been through these past few weeks?" I scolded.

"I didn't think you'd attack me."

"Why, because you were hoping I was asleep to take me?"

"That was a part of the original plan. I guess I'm going to have to make some adjustments."

"What plan?"

"I'm helping you carry out your suicide mission."

I blinked before it clicked.

"Of course, you would want me to carry out the plan. You don't like me."

"Is it that obvious?" Jamie muttered sarcastically.

"If you were going to help me, why did you sneak into my room like a creep?"

"I didn't want anyone to hear us leaving. If Henry knew what I was doing, he'd kill me."

"No shit."

"Stop sassing me and get dressed before I drag you to Jacob in your pajamas."

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked skeptically.

"I'll do you one better. I have arranged a public meeting place for us. So, if things go south, we're less likely to die immediately."

"Lovely."

"Get dressed before I drag you outside."

"Try it, and I'll scream."

"Not if you're drugged."

"Slow down, you psycho!" I exclaimed as we zoomed through the backroads. The twisty road made the car jerk around, which sent me bumping into my side door.

"I want to get this over with," Jamie muttered, her voice was barely audible over the engine's roar.

"Why? Does the idea of sacrificing another human that appalling to you?"

"No, it's because I want to sleep. Believe it or not, Jacklynn, this is not my first brush with immorality. Besides, aren't you the one that wanted to sacrifice yourself like some hero? What happened to that attitude? Did it dissipate due to your accomplice?"

I stayed quiet as I glared out the window.

"She's right. I asked for this. Why am I acting so bitter?"