Conflicted

The car bumped and threw me around as we zoomed down the road. Since Alex was not here, Henry was driving, and I was helping Mike with weapons.

"They probably know that we're coming. So we'll have to go in slow, steady, and sneaky. We can't risk a hostage situation. We'll have to survey the area before we go in. That way, we can find a clear entry and exit point. Understood?" Henry asked from the front.

"Got it." Mike and I answered.

We loaded the rest of the guns as the seconds ticked by at an agonizing pace. It was probably in cahoots with the road that seemed to stretch on forever.

"Our main priority is getting everyone out. We can focus on killing Peter later. We may not be able to take him out, especially if he's expecting us. But our priority is getting the survivors out. Is that understood?"

"Yes.' Mike and I answered.

"I'm serious, Jacklynn. No rouge missions. You got lucky the first few times. Peter will not hesitate to kill you if he can't control you. This opportunity is the only chance we have to damage his operation. Do not screw this up. The only reason you are here is that you may be of some use to us. Peter needs you alive to complete his deal. You're our leverage if we need it."

I nodded and helped Mike load the rest of the guns.

"How much longer?" I asked.

"Two minutes less than when you last asked." Mike groaned.

"It's only been two minutes?" I glanced at the clock and rocked nervously.

"By the time we get there, everyone could be gone."

The car swerved, causing me to hit my head on the window.

"Ow." I groaned.

"They don't need to know that we have bulletproof vests on. I want you guys to wear them under your shirts. Wear an undershirt under the vest for some comfort." Henry instructed.

Mike dug around under the seats until he produced a box full of weapons and vests. I pulled out a grey undershirt and a vest before stripping my shirt. My back turned to Mike.

When I turned back around, I saw Mike suited up.

"If you need some help-" He stopped when he saw me fasten my vest to my torso with no trouble.

"I'm not even going to ask."

"Dad started taking me to the range as soon as I could legally carry. He thought I should know how to put on a vest too."