Smothering the Senses

"Dottie has not answered her phone." I sighed as I called her for the umpteenth time.

"When did you first text her?" Henry asked.

"Last night before bed. You'd think she would jump all over this because she's so hell-bent on sending me away." I gnawed at my lower lip.

"What do you think happened?"

"I don't want to think about that." I shook my head.

Dread knotted in the pit of my stomach. Something did not feel right.

This entire month was a nest of nauseating dread and overwhelming anxiety. Why would my escape be any different?

"What do you want to do?" Henry asked.

"There's only one thing I can do. I don't know where Dottie is, and she won't come with me. The only way to go is forward."

"Do you know where you want to go?"

"Scotland."

"Alright." Henry shifted the gears and pulled out of the coffee shop parking lot.

"Where are we going?"

"The airport."

"I have to order the tickets. It might take time for everything to be sent to me and-"

"Not if I'm paying. I have connections."

"You're not paying. Plane tickets are so expensive."

"I find it slightly insulting that you think I, as a mafia boss, can't afford a plane ticket."

"It would cost me my savings."

"Which is why I am buying it."

"No, you're not," I argued.

"It's already set in stone."

"But-"

"Look at it this way. If I purchase the ticket and use my contacts to get it to us as soon as they can, we can get you out of here as soon as possible. Therefore you would no longer be my problem." Henry pointed out.

"Your family has already done so much for me. I don't want to be a burden."

"A mere plane ticket is nothing. I won't miss the money."

I sighed and nodded, realizing I would not win this fight.

"Fine." I caved.

"Awesome."