High Stakes

 "Am I interrupting?" Jacklynn asked as she knocked on the patio door.

"Nope," I replied with a puff of smoke.

"Am I welcomed?"

"Why wouldn't you be?"

"I got you shot?"

"You're not the one who shot me." I pointed out.

"Yeah, but if I weren't here, my father wouldn't have shot you."

"You're not responsible for your father's actions. If your father weren't careless, you wouldn't be here. Stop taking everyone's guilt on yourself."

Jacklynn stepped onto the patio and sat in one of the white wicker chairs. The rain battered against the white awning that shielded us from the harsh weather. An occasional breeze would bring a light mist over me, but I liked it.

"That stuff is strong." Jacklynn coughed as she shifted in her seat.

"You're not good at small talk, are you?" I flicked the ashes into my blue glass ashtray.

"What gave it away?" Jacklynn chuckled.

I took another drag as a clash of thunder roared over us.

"You want some?" I offered her the joint.

"Isn't that medicinal?" She inquired.

"Who's going to know? I won't tell if you don't."

"What about your doctor?" She asked.

I'm not going to tell him. I mean, if you don't want it..." I trailed off as I brought the joint closer to my lips.

"Aren't you worried about catching my cooties?"

"I've had worse."

She snickered as she took it from my hand and took a long drag. The intake caused her to sputter and cough until her face was red.

"That would have been hilarious if it was not so pathetic." I chuckled.

"I'm not used to joints. I've only had a few brownies at prom after-parties I crashed. They didn't have anything this strong." She handed me the joint, and we sat in awkward silence.

"So, daddy's not as innocent as you thought?" I asked.

"Please never repeat that. I can not un-hear Lacey calling you daddy in the car. Plus, I think the wound is still too fresh to joke about," She let out a half-assed chuckle.