Monsters

"That's ridiculous

"That's ridiculous. I was outside last night. I didn't overhear anything that sounded like destruction." I muttered as we examined the busted-up wires sticking out of the wall.

"Welp, the cameras are gone. Whoever did this didn't want to leave behind any evidence." Jamie replied as she glared at me.

"I didn't do it. I told you, I went out for a swim."

"That's what you told me. That's not what I think happened."

"Alright, guys. We'll have to deal with this later. I'll have a security team guard the house until I can get the cameras replaced. That shouldn't take too long. It does look pretty suspicious, Jacklynn." Henry pointed out.

"Why would I destroy the security cameras when I asked for your help to find my family?"

"The timing of everything is suspicious. We'll keep you under tighter watch until we figure this out. So, if you aren't who you claim to be-"

"I have nothing to hide. You can look as closely as you want." I held my hands up.

"Well, good. Because I wasn't asking for permission, I'm obligated to keep everyone in this house safe. I want to help you, but I have to guarantee that it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass." Henry explained.

"That's fine by me. As I said, I have nothing to hide."

"We'll see," Jamie mumbled.

"Jamie, don't instigate."

"You don't seriously believe that she's entirely innocent. Look at her face. She's hiding something!" Jamie pointed at me.

"If I am hiding something, you'd be the first to know." I shot back.

"Alright! Both of you get inside and separate. Oh my god, you're acting like children." Henry sighed while running his hands through his hair.

"You guys are going to give Grandpa Henry some grey hairs." Mike chuckled.

"Bad timing Mike," Lacey muttered as she shook her head.

"Sometimes, I wonder how we have survived as a mafia. Jacklynn, what are your plans for the day?" Henry inquired.

"I'm fully booked with world domination and a ten-minute power nap," I remarked sarcastically.

"Hardy har har. What are you doing today?" He asked again.

"I think I'll go downstairs to train and blow off some steam," I answered.

"Mike, go keep an eye on her while she does that."

"You got it, boss."

"Lacey, you review what footage saved before the cameras deactivated. We'll see if the footage shows us who the culprit is."

"I'm on it."

"Jamie, you behave yourself."

"Do you have an easier assignment? I don't think I'll pass that one."