Delusion

"The target still isn't talking, but I was able to get you your blood sample

"The target still isn't talking, but I was able to get you your blood sample." Henry handed Lacey a vile of blood that she sealed in a giant envelope.

"This should tell us everything we need to know. The results might take a while to come in, though." Lacey stepped outside and placed the envelope in the mailbox for the mailman.

"How long are we talking ?" I asked.

"Anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks." Lacey offered me a sheepish smile.

"Are you kidding me?" I rolled my eyes.

"We're sending it somewhere special with my name attached to it. It should be back in two days, tops." Henry reassured me.

"It'll tell us who this guy is. Then we'll go from there." Alex added.

"So, we'll be able to figure out who has my family?" I inquired.

"It may not be that simple. But we'll do our best to solve this case as quickly as possible." Henry answered.

"Oh," I felt my hope die down. We were running out of time. My family had been missing for days. I wanted nothing more than to know that they were okay.

"We need to know why you're involved," Jamie added.

"The voice on my phone said that I was always involved."

"So why show up now?"

"I don't know," I admitted.

"Are you sure? Nothing is ringing any bells for you?" Jamie pressed.

"Nope," I answered.

"Does your father have any enemies? Is there anyone you can think of that would want to hurt him or you?" Henry questioned.

"He's the biggest name in oil on the east coast. What do you think?" I laughed bitterly.

"Do you have any names?"

I racked my brain, and a lightbulb lit up.

"I always hear him arguing on the phone about someone by the name of 'Pete.'" I snapped my fingers.

"That narrows the scope," Lacey muttered sarcastically.

"Hey, it's a start. the question is if it's someone involved with our line of work or Jacklynn's father's line of work." Henry stroked his chin.

"What if he was involved in organized crime?" Mike suggested.

"Remind me of your father's name?" Henry sat up.

"Vincent Barkly. You guys think he could have pissed someone off in your line of work?" I answered.

"With everything that's happened in such a short amount of time, I would not be surprised," Henry admitted.