Deals With Devils

"You didn't answer my question," Jacklynn said from the passenger side

"You didn't answer my question," Jacklynn said from the passenger side. We had been driving for the last hour.

The less she knows, the safer she will be.

"As I said, all you need to know is that you need to run."

"But why? What's going on?"

"I can't tell you that, Jacklynn."

"Can't? Or won't?" She crossed her arms and stared out of the window.

I could feel her slowly slip through my grasp. I was losing her. She was all I had after I left my old life behind. But if I did not send her away now, I would lose her forever.

"Trust me. It's better this way. You don't want to be involved in what's going on."

"You know what's going on? Why haven't you told me?" Jacklynn straightened up and turned towards me.

"I don't know all the details." I lied.

"If you did, would you tell me?"

"No. Whatever is happening, you need to run away from it as hard and as far as possible."

"I agree."

"Good."

"But I want answers, and I don't want to be alone."

"You need to cease this little search you're doing. It won't lead to what you want."

The answers would be too much for her to bear.

They would be too much for me to bear. Jacklynn would hate me forever if she did not already.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm sending you away."

"I knew that much. But where are you sending me?"

"You'll find out when we get to the airport. I have to make a pitstop beforehand."

"Where is dad?"

I bit my tongue. How was I supposed to tell Jacklynn that her father wanted her dead?

"I don't know. I left your dad to find you."

"Do you think the people searching for me will stop because I moved?" She snapped.

"No, that's why I got you a new identity and a private escort out of here."

"You did what?" Jacklynn sat up and looked in my direction.

"I've spared no expense. You need to leave."

"How did you afford all of that? Where did you get the connections to do that?"

"That's not important."

"Why is that your response to every question I have? I need to know what happened to you. Who hurt you, and who is after you?" Jacklynn's voice cracked, causing my heart to break.