Bang

A shower of gunfire followed the objection. I shrieked as Henry, Mike, and I ducked behind an obnoxious couch.

I saw Dottie frantically running, her bound arms throwing her off-balance. I shouted for her to join us with desperate hand gestures, but she could not see or hear me over the chaos.

"I'm going to get Dottie!" I screamed to Henry.

"Be careful!" He hollered back.

I kicked off my heels and sprinted towards Dottie, occasionally ducking behind a piece of furniture to shield myself from the flying bullets. Blood soaked the ripped train of my dress.

I grabbed Dottie by the shoulder and threw her into the dining room. A guard drew his gun, prompting me to throw a plate at him. The flying porcelain distracted him long enough for me to disarm him, claiming his firearm for myself.

"You stay right here. You and I will have a long talk when this is all over, and you're going to explain everything to me." I ordered.

I ripped the tape off her mouth.

"Jacklynn-"

"No, no talking. Not from you. Not now. We will talk later."

"Jacklynn-"

"No, I don't want to hear it right now. I have bigger things to worry about." I handed her my gun.

"I know you know how to use this. Do so if you have to."

She nodded before I turned to grab another gun from the unconscious man.

"Jacklynn, look out!" Dottie screamed.

A pair of arms wrapped around my torso and lifted me off the ground. I screamed and wrapped my legs around their waist before throwing all of my weight forward. Both of us bodies landed on the floor, knocking the wind out of me.

I recovered and climbed on top of the man before punching his lights out.

"Why didn't you shoot him?" I huffed at Dottie.

"I didn't want to hit you." She responded."

I rolled my eyes and searched the man's pockets for a gun.

A pair of footsteps from behind brought me to my feet. I swung my fist, which someone caught.

"Jamie! I could've hurt you."

"You couldn't hurt me even if you tried to. Do you want to bring a gun to a civil war?" She extended her hand to me, a gun resting in her palm.

"Of course." I took the gun and checked it.