A Fresh Start

"Dottie's been gone for a long time

"Dottie's been gone for a long time. Do you think she's okay?" I asked the silent giant looming in the corner. He nodded in response.

"Yes, she's been gone for a while or, yes, you think she's okay?"

No response.

"Not much of a talker, huh?"

No answer.

I grabbed the remote to the TV and flipped aimlessly through the channels for some distraction from my crumbling reality. I settled on some trashy reality TV before peeking into the packed bags on one of the beds.

A snap jerked my attention to the large man in the corner, who was waving a finger at me like I was a disobedient child.

"What? They have my name on them, and I'm bored."

"And I'm internally freaking out because my whole world is falling apart."

He pointed to the TV. I ignored the silent command and continued to search through my bags.

A sudden smack of my hand caused me to jump back in surprise.

"Did you smack my hand? What am I, five?"

"You're acting like it."

"I'm restless."

"Watch the TV."

"How do you expect me to function when I'm about to be sent off to some random location? I don't know where I'm going or who I'll be around, and my only loved one is staying behind."

"From what I've heard, Dottie is doing you a favor. Your situation is incredibly messy, and most people would kill to be in your shoes. And trust me, people have."

"You've heard about my situation? What exactly have you heard?" I fished.

"Nope. I know what you're doing. My lips will remain sealed. Once you set your mind on something, you never let up. Spilling the beans would only prompt you to continue to hassle Dottie into letting you stay. I'm not going to make this upsetting for her. She's having a hard enough time letting you go."

"That makes two of us. I've been searching for Dottie for almost a month."

"It never dawned on you to stop looking?"

"Of course not. Dottie's the only family I have left. The only family that seems to care, anyway."

"But this opportunity will bring about a new life and a new family." Ray tried.

"I don't want anything new. Dottie's the only mother-like figure I've had. My old life wasn't perfect, but I would give anything to go back to it. If I had known that blind date would unearth all of this, I would've given Henry the slip."

"You're afraid of change."

"Who isn't? Considering my circumstances, I have every right to be."

"I didn't say that. You do have every right to be scared. I wish I had the luxury of being afraid."