Closer to The Truth

Content warning:
Discussion and mention of death and its cause. Some details about the situation and related information.

For those who are uncomfortable with such things, skip after:

'A murder has happened'...............
'sign of poisoning or a mark indicating curse.'

~♤~

The 'journey', as the immortal being called it, was an out of body experience. Literally. Somehow the entity had managed to separate his conscience from his body, which, Lan Wangji found himself staring at from outside. His brother was shaking him, his body to be specific, while a few guards and the prince were present there. They hadn't been there when they walked through the corridors earlier.

Lan Wangji noticed that his brother had a tense expression while the prince looked strange. The guards were in an offensive position which really, did not bode well. The entity did not allow him to linger there more and took him through the halls and rooms of the palace: an absurd tour.

'Look' the entity said.

In all the rooms they went, Lan Wangji noticed a few things. They all had a mural of dragon, a set of peculiar dagger showcased on the Eastern wall and all the rooms belonged to females. Lan Wangji tried not to blush. He didn't think being a spirit, a part of his conscience would allow such a thing which was related to his body but well.

'Focus, little human.' Lan Wangji startled. All the while, the being had not uttered a word and he would have almost forgotten about its existence if not for the voice.

'What should I focus on?' Lan Wangji asked, since there were many things he could point out in all the rooms they had visited.

' You are an observant person, tell me what you saw.'

Saw. The entity said it like it was asking him to see something in particular. There had to be a clue here if that's what they are looking for. Except, Lan Wangji didn't know what they were looking for.

'The rooms belonged to females with peculiar weapons.'

'And ?'

What else was there? Squinting and focusing on each item, Lan Wangji thought for a moment before speaking.

'The placement of the decorative weapons and the material used for making them is strange, uncommon. '

Each weapon was covered in bronze sheen, the metal meant to used for attack uncharacteristically blunt. Even decorated pieces, no matter how ornate, were sharp. These were blunt, the sheath roughed up like they have been used before. A used weapon in room, hung on like a decoration.

The royals had some complicated mess.

They went through some more rooms, each one solidifying Lan Wangji's hypothesis, giving it a shape and form.

'Now you know what you need.'

'Hm. The pavillion....it's not simply haunted. It's cursed. Someone murdered the Great Empress.'

The entity didn't react to his statement, just vanished into thin air and Lan Wangji found himself gravitating towards his body.

*~♤~*

Opening his eyes, he gasped, Lan Xichen beside him.

"Wangji. Are you okay?"

"Looks like Chief Cultivator has woken from his sleep. Guards, leave. Lan Zhongzhu, I believe there's no need for me to say anything."