The Archery Competition-II

Both Suzhui and Jingyi stood rooted at the spot for a second, digesting the sentence He might get a visit.
Surprisingly, it was Jingyi who became to his senses first and darted his eyes around to check if someone else was there. Sensing no one, he grabbed Suzhui and headed towards the discussion hall for the formal ending to their predicament.

They reached the hall without any incident and settled in their seat.
Hanguang-Jun was not present as some sect leaders had managed to rope him into a conversation about taxes and night hunts so they waited.
After they both were showered in praises by the other Lan disciples, Suzhui glanced around the room and glanced outside, it was nearing sunset so the day was almost over and they could have relaxed knowing that no mysterious gift would appear and their teacher could have a peaceful day...
"Suzhui Xiong!" Suzhui turned in the direction of the junior disciple and found him pointing in the direction of something kept on the table in front of the throne where some fruits and snacks were kept for sect leader Jin.
The disciple was pointing towards a scroll and pouch which were placed on the side, as the table was large enough the things were out of harm of being wet or ruined from the food unlike their tables, which were just enough to keep the food and a cup of tea.
"What Ah-Xie?" The disciple was young, way too young to participate in any of the competitions but old enough to observe under supervision of senior disciples and had come to see and learn.
"Suzhui Xiong, what are those ?" Suzhui looked at the items in question and frowned, they weren't there when he left so maybe, sect leader Jin had asked for those. " I don't know Ah-Xie. When sect leader Jin comes, you may get to know." He said while silently ignoring the small twist in his stomach.

Lan Wangji was happy, he was happy because not only his disciples performed well but one out of them whom he had raised like his own son won the first position in the archery competition. Out of the many memories which Lan Wangji recalled whenever he missed Wei Ying, archery was one of them. He still remembered the time when We Ying had asked for his forehead ribbon on the day of the archery competition in the Phoenix Mountains Night Hunt organised by the Jins 16 years ago. How he hit the bull's eye of the five targets at once even with his eyes closed behind the black cloth while relying on the wine's motion and wave to hit the target.
Lan Wangji himself was good at archery but he was no where near the feat which Wei Wuxian pulled as easily as if he was peeling lotus seeds.
So seeing Suzhui win was definitely heart warming. Jingyi too got third position which was good. He will surely give them good remarks for their achievements, NOTE REMARKS!
He was going to give remarks not praise! Though Lan awangji could easily imagine his uncle stroking his beard and looking at him disapprovingly.
Do not be boastful. Do not seek praise for small achievements.
He wasn't boastful about Suzhui, he was just warmed by the kid's achievements and Suzhui had always seemed praises when he was little, asking for his opinions whenever he learned something new and showed him the results. He remembers the first time when A-Yuan who had just become Lan Suzhui months ago learned a poem about spring. The poem was simple yet the way it the descriptive way the author has written which caught the boy's attention. He had written a small and innocent essay about how the poet could join the party of the nature if she truly wished to in answer to the line in which the poet lamented her predicament of how she couldn't as she was in class.
Lan Wangji was sure his uncle would frown upon such answers and ask the boy to copy rules about not indulging in such fantasies.
Lan Wangji remembers how the Jingshi had once again resonated with the music which did not take him to a trip in past or guilt, but grounded him with the fact that even if he was destined to spend the rest of his life teaching and carrying duties, without the one thing he wished for— there will be Suzhui who would always remind him of the fact that his regrets were not all unpaid for. He could simply look at Suzhui and be assured that yes, he had made the right choice and if he never got the flower at least he had a petal.
Suzhui had been so excited when he learned first how to play guqin that he wouldn't stop playing unless Lan Wangji himself told him to. He had taught A-Yuan himself, the one thing in which he allowed himself to be selfish. The basic lessons of music was not his duty and was given by a female instructor but he had asked his brother and his brother had been delighted over the fact. The moment when Suzhui chose guqin as his spiritual music instrument, he didn't know what expression had been on his face but; he had felt touched and something had softened in his soul and heart.
Lan Wangji sighed, he still sometimes wished that he had A Yuan with him at night just so he could stop feeling anxious everytime he woke up in cold sweat after a nightmare.
Walking towards the discussion hall, he rounded a corner and saw someone talking to a servant, the servant was carrying a tray with something on it which Lan Wangji couldn't make out but he recognized the person. He was the 'prince' or the head disciple of the Meili sect. Not willing to get caught for an unwanted conversation, he moved.
But he still didn't escape the conversations, it seems that some of the sect leaders had teamed up to catch him before he could go inside and thus Lan Wangji was resigned to politely answer a few questions and talks directed at him.
After a few questions, he managed to escape and reached the hall. The hall filled with the cultivators and as sect leader Jin took his place he noticed the things lying there. Jin Ling turned to the servant stan6at the side and raised his eyebrows silently asking the purpose of the scroll and pouch. The maid shook her head in denial so Jin Ling stared at the two items. But before he could say something or order the maids to take it away, someone spoke " It seems that sext leader Jin has something for us." It was sect leader Yao and he had his eyes trained on the scroll. Jin Ling glanced at his uncle but Jiang Cheng frowned. " They look like gifts to me, for a purpose even." The head disciple of Meili sect quipped, he was looking at the items with interest and when Jin Ling looked back at those things his eyes went to find his uncle. " Yes, but who kept these here ?"
Jiang Cheng seemed to be in thought but then his eyes widened, but before he could say something, that prince said again, " Aren't pouches like these gifts for certain occasions?"
Some people in the hall froze in their seats and Jin Ling gestured for one of the maids to get the things out of his sight as soon as he too got a hint. The maid went near the items but as she touched the pouch, her hands caught fire and Suzhui shot a ball of spiritual energy towards her to extinguish the fire.
" They are protected by spiritual energy?" Jingyi asked, he had a suspicion that only the intended person could touch the gift and he was not wrong then that person would never.
She warily reached for the scroll but the scroll got as if activated by touch and a few words appeared in the air for all to read.
"What the....." Lan Wangji's eye widened and all the four main sect leaders froze upon seeing the contents of the letter.
************************************

So here's an update. What is in the letter? Why did the four main sect leaders froze upon seeing it ? Who put the scroll and the pouch there ?
Let me know your guesses and maybe I will update soon though seeing as I am currently busy the whole week, no promises!
Don't forget to vote and comment. 🙃