RTOL 2

Chapter 2

My alcohol loaded brain whispered that I should climb out of his Dodge Challenger. I was obviously getting uncomfortable.

"Hey, wait!" he yelled behind. I didn't know what came over me. I just found myself walking the sidewalk in brisk strides. "Mitch! Mitch!" he screamed my name. "Mitch, watch out!" I did not even have the chance to turn around to see what caused the horror on Marcus' face. The car was coming too fast and its light disabled me to see anything except brightness.

And then, there was just plain utter darkness when I decided to close my eyes. The steady beeping sound brought me back. Where was I? When I opened my eyes, I thought I was already in heaven seeing his angelic face. It was Marc and I'm completely safe in his arms. My limbs and arms were still intact, I'm still alive.

"You better watch your way!" the driver yelled behind me. Then suddenly his voice was in amusement then softened when he apologized, "Oh, Mitch and Marcus? I'm so sorry. Just be careful next time."

We just stayed that way for a minute or so. His arms were wrapped all over me and I even didn't notice that my hands were also resting on his hips. "I'm a big fan of you two!" the voice was the same earlier. Both of us waved to the driver and just let out a laugh. Then, he left.

"It's okay. It's okay. Don't worry, you're safe now. You're almost killed out there," he whispered, smoothing a hand on my hair. "I know what it feels like that your dad is sick. I've been there."

"Thank you, Marc."

Maybe because of having superheroes thoughts in me the whole night like Batman, Robin and Spiderman, someone just became my superhero.

We pulled away.

I suddenly felt unease in my stomach. I tried to keep my head high. If I dropped it any lower, I'll definitely throw up.

He raised his eyebrows, "We better get home."

My both hands were resting on my knees, tilting my head up, "Fine, like I would like to spend another second with you walking on the street."

"Just say that you just wanted my presence. I became your superhero the whole night," he winked. This guy must be insane!

"Definitely not!" I took a deep breath and walked. My feet were losing their strength and so my hands were getting numb. Hope abandoned me when I saw that I still have to walk a long street even my blurred sight was a hindrance. I knew the street very well and I'm aware that there was no place to rest.

"Oh c'mon, I was just joking around. I just wanted you to laugh to get that frown from your face."

I heard his footsteps coming towards me. "So, are you going home for your dad?" he asked.

"No," I answered without hesitation.

"Why?"

He started to walk backwards.

"Because I'm not. Why do you want to know? Please stop walking backwards, you're freaking me out."

"One, I'm just a friend who cares. Two, I'm walking backwards because I'm Tow Mater, the best backward walker."

I stopped walking and gripped his wrist, "Three, we're not friends. Four, as far as I know, Mater is a backward driver not a backward walker," I extended my other hand like we just met for the first time. I continued, "Cars! By the way, meet Lightning McQueen."

O-so-soft-and-gentle-in-my-skin when he grabbed my hand. Fate now makes me die squealing for every pixel of his being. Wow, he got that so gentle skin, his hands was of a woman.