RTOL 10

Chapter 10

I was thinking, maybe Mr. Parker was right. I should stay away from Marcus. Everything felt wrong from the moment I got near him, from the bar incident until my ankle injury. I realized how many times I've been in danger when I'm with him.

But I will never forget the times that he was there to save me whenever I'm in danger. The first instance was when I was about to dance with that guy. Then, that moment when I almost got hit by a car. Third, he carried me on his back until we can find a shelter when I sprained my ankle. I can count on him, but I will never forgive myself if I'd put my career at risk. My career is the most important thing for me.

When Mr. Parker asked me to stay away from Marcus, we had a little argument. I insisted that Marcus is a good guy, and he has nothing to worry about. But when Mr. Parker reminded me that we were opponents in the race, it bothered me. I haven't told him that Marcus was my new neighbor. I also told Jodie that she should elude Peter before it gets too late. I haven't heard anything about him for a couple of days – the same time when I'm waiting for my ankle sprain to heal. I learned that he was admitted due to cough and colds.

I pressed the bell once. My feet was already jumping off; I easily get impatient when it comes to waiting, and I don't want to be rushed. I rang the bell again and I heard a woman's voice shouting, "Marc, get the door!" The moment I heard her voice, it tightened my chest.

Is he living with a girl? I must not feel this way.

I was about to turn around and leave when I heard the doorknob working. I didn't take the chance to escape from this wilderness.

"Oh, I almost forgot." I said, jumping to my feet when the door burst open. He was pulling his just-woke-up look, wearing a pair of boxer shorts and nothing on top. I took out the envelope I prepared back in my apartment out of my pocket, and handed it to him. "Jodie told me that Peter won't accept the payment from her. So, I decided to pass by and hand it to you personally."

He frowned, "What's this?"

"I told you I'm paying for the clothes, right? By the way, I included the payment for the damages incurred at the bar. You took care of everything and it would be a shame if I won't take any part. Besides, I caused all the trouble. So here it is." I pushed the envelope closely to his chest.

His frown deepened, "I never asked anything for the damages, and I don't remember saying I'm going to accept your payment for the clothes."

I looked at him pointedly, "Just take it," I said, getting impatient. All of a sudden, something slapped me. I saw the girl whom I heard earlier, she was just wearing a pink night gown at his breakfast bar, preparing a meal. I didn't intend to see her, but as I was speaking to Marcus, I couldn't help but peek inside, craning my head from left to right.

"It doesn't always have to be money. Didn't Jodie mention that Peter settled everything with my lawyer friend?" He tilted his head on the door frame and rested his hands on his hips, giving me a better view of the girl.

"She did. But please don't make this hard for me. I am just giving my part and am trying to make a point." I already wanted to disperse, but not in this situation. My feet was already screaming to run towards my apartment door.

"Please, Mitch. I can't take this. I'm just being a guy," he pushed the envelope back towards me, letting his hand stay longer, and giving out a smile.

"If you won't take it now, then we'll just consider it as a debt. I need to go." I said in a shaking voice, afraid that tears will fall from my eyes. I don't know why I feel this way.

"I'm not jealous. You can't be jealous, Mitch. You don't have a right to be jealous." I said to myself. I mentally slapped, pinched, and kicked myself with all the thoughts that runs in my head.