RTOL 13

Chapter 13

"Ready. Set. Go!" Henry ordered over the mic. I stepped on the gas hard, yanking the gear shift to second and flew forward, overtaking others.

Getting closer to the first turn, I and my baby Chevrolet ran smoothly along the curve. I drafted to another Chevy making him nervous and tension to have a bumper to bumper contact.

"Okay, easy. Go inside!" his order made me slam my foot down to the gas then took the third gear as I maneuver past the Chevy, then from another two, a Ford and a Toyota.

While running smoothly on the track, I felt the wild cheer of the crowd for their favorite drivers.

"The track is a usual oval with four notable turns, be careful in the turning point with brick walls." I took the first turn, passing another Chevy.

"Nice turn lady, keep it up! They're still five ahead of us. Let's take the lead!"

I stepped harder on the gas, yanking the gear shift to fourth. I smiled to myself and increased the pace of the car to a slight extent.

The accustomed prick of being in a race eroded over and I fail to recall all edginess and the pressure driving me.

"Oh c'mon! Go take the lead. Mitch Pauleen doesn't allow any car to take the lead," he puzzled me, making me flew forward. "The second turn is coming. Don't go inside until he let you. If outside, you're gonna crash yourself. Okay?"

I slightly turned left, aware of the cars trying to take my position. They're drafting behind me. I still got five before the first lap ends, I thought. I drifted behind another car making the driver he's obviously got every chance of winning the race. Well, probably he's not because I got his position.

"Why did you pull that show? You wanted to crash and smash?"

"You only got that phone, I got the wheel. You got nothing to do with it," I retorted, jerking my lips on one side.

"Nice head start, right? It's also nice to play their thoughts. Chill. Relax. I got this." I tried to keep him calm in taking his order to the opposite.

"Alright. Alright. Go, take the lead!"

I saw four cars ahead of me, shifting their position to each other. I looked through the rear-view mirror when I passed the third turn.

Catching the four cars ahead of me, I stepped on the gas harder making me draft on the other. When he swerved left, I swerved left. When he swerved right, I swerved right.

"Okay, Mitch. Listen, we got to go inside. Wait for my signal. Just be ready."

I nodded despite of the odd that he can't see me. The fourth turn is getting closer. "Ready. Set. Go!" he ordered.

I slammed my foot down, making maneuver my way past two cars.

"What can I say? The demon's taking the track," he praised, making me smirk to myself.

"I'd take that as a compliment, Henry."

"We're on third, two more to go! Can we do this, right?"

"As you wish."

I floored ahead with maximum speed. Turning on the first turn on the second lap, I maneuvered making to the second position.

"Impressive," Henry praised, "now it's time to take the lead."

Crowd's cheers blasted around the track. Marcus' Chevrolet in the lead. I focused on him, drafting on his bumper. I'm just about to cross him and take the lead but his car suddenly jolted making me lose my speed.