RTOL 15

Chapter 15

It was unexplainable how much I was stunned when I saw my mom a few inches away from me. It was really hard enough but I need to face the reality—my past. Not arguing with Jodie after my mom's visit at the hotel was what all I need. She's the only being left who can understand me that others never will. Good thing, she never insisted to talk about it after.

My eyes opened against the rays of the sun. I blinked for a few times to adjust and when I moved, I felt my best friend's soft breathing just a few inches away. We had fallen asleep facing each other while on the plane. Everything was so surreal. Yesterday was a so so-nightmare that I woke up in just an ordinary day of my racing life, everything was into chaos—I lost in the race and my mom appeared like there's nothing happened a few years ago.

I have no face to facade all those humiliations. I was completely dragged by my emotions. For sure, I am the front page of every tabloid, the breaking news, trending in social media, and the talk of the world. Now, I'm curious of how many views the "wrecking" video in Charlotte Motor Speedway already had.

The pilot announced something, the only thing I caught was we are about to land in a few minutes. Jodie's eyes opened and blinked to adjust on the sudden brightness of the sun. I can smell New York again.

I concluded we landed safe because my limbs were still intact. I was expecting for a pool of media men waiting at the arrival area. Then, there they go, trying to cork themselves in between the marshals. I put on my sunnies, wore a very relaxing smile as I always do, lifted a hand and waved at them.I looked awesome in my messy bun hair, Rayban aviator shades, and light blue green V-neck shirt tucked only in front of slightly ripped dark washed jeans matched with heel boots with a tiny heel. Finishing my look was a slight make-up and red matte lips.

Soon enough, we were home, changed, and snuggling my pillow for a rest to regain my energy but still all that happened was having a war like scene on my head. I whined for several times trying to sleep but I did fail. My mind was still racing when Jodie suddenly knocked and bursts the door open. I flipped the blanket off and rested my back on the headboard.

"Book a ticket for us after Axalta 400," I said, combing my hair with my both hands.

She crossed her arms and stationed on the doorway, trying to figure me out.

"To where?"

"We're going home to California. Ticket from New York to LAX two days after Axalta."

At the moment the word came out from my mouth, Jodie didn't deflect the question to appear as a genuine interest to her. Still, I saw the flash in her eyes, that moment of surprised and excitement. She shrugged to act in response but I know what tingles into her mind. She's happy that I finally decided to have a glimpse of what they call home. Plans were made faster than eating a spoonful of pancakes with maple syrup.

The bottom line was I want everything to die down before I get to see him as my neighbour again and I want to fulfil my promise to my mother, I'm a woman who stands with my words.

She looked down, looking at her hands quietly. There's something that bothers her, that's how I know my best friend. When silence fell on us both, I decided to get up.

"Is the Lasagna ready?" I asked, walking in with a little pep in my step, trying to brighten the mood. I followed Jodie, making her way to the kitchen.

"Of course, for my best friend and at the same time, my sister." She gave me a predatory look and smirk, her old ways showing up. Same old Jodie that loves me very much that others never will.

"We're looking a lot less green," I said. At this, Jodie let out a choked chuckle, as if trying to hold it in, failing, and trying to express that I complained to my own request. I sent her a look that could make plants wilt, examining her superb Lasagna in the oven.

"Whoa," she said, kneeling down to get the Lasagna out of the oven.

I shrugged, stuffing my hands on my waist. I heard when my stomach growled, my eyes trailed the Lasagna up to the counter top.

"Because of this, I announce that today is going to be a spa day!"

Taking the delicious twinge of pleasure brought by the Lasagna, Jodie's phone rang that the words from her mouth and the emotions plastered on her face was talking to Peter. From the day I met him and as the day goes on, there's no enough reason that I won't like him for her. He isn't like the Mr. Nice Guy pretender. I don't want to think of his name, it will make my blood pressure up and my body collapse anytime soon. The only man who had done it to me like that—wreck me not just on the track but my entire being.

For the remainder of the day, we did our spa day. I managed to relax myself into a state of suppressing the disappointments. The soothing scent of lavender while I was having a deep massage brightens my mood even if it dawned on me that I will soon land to a place where a lot of memories will hark back. I have to face the reality and my parents realize that I am happy and contented, and I reached my dreams without their support.

We also did yoga for a total relaxation. The thought that I am not staying for long in New York right after the Axalta 400 race in Long Pond makes me face the unknown—afraid to what will happen next after next. New York is my home.

At the moment, I thought I finally relieved but my blood boiled in rage when I heard from a woman beside me whispered my name to the other, "Mitch is witch." Then, both of them let out a laugh.

Did I actually hear it or am I just being paranoid? I'm not the only Mitch in this world, right?

Jodie grasped my wrist to stop me before I could do something to the woman. If Jo didn't do it, maybe, or just maybe, I'd already ripped her skin off. They don't know the story behind. So, they don't have the right to judge me.

Right on queue on the receptionist was Tyler when we went out after our yoga, he dug his hands on his pockets and shrugged. This man never failed to amaze me but I don't love him back the way he do. Tyler was a good man, even before that we're back together then. I did try but there's no spark flowing on my blood vessels and butterflies in my stomach—only insects in between my thighs. If you get what I mean.

I looked to Jodie, she's smiling, trying to tell me that she's the one who called Tyler to be with us. I wasn't surprise about that and he'll go with us out for a dinner. Should I give a chance to both of us?

We seated. Our seating were always in hierarchy, just like before. Jodie's next to me and Tyler's across me. Then, the legendary silence followed. Our order came.

"I'm flying next week. We're flying next week, to Cali," I broke the silence, sipping a soup from the spoon. Yes, Tyler knew that I left home—he knows every inch of me.

"Home?" He was confused because I promised to myself before that I won't step back on that doorway again when I left.

"Yes," I grumbled. At this, three of us couldn't help but laugh. It was a nice noise after the horrible and tense Concord trip that had unravelled thus far. It was yesterday yet it feels like it just happened a while ago.

That was it—the end of conversation about me going home. No tears were shed. Jodie then shifted the talk about her and Peter. All I can say, she's in-loved with him already. We then talked about trivial matters and on the preparation for our next race in Pocono Raceway in Long Pond for the Axalta 400.

Oh my God, I thought.

Soon enough we decided to go home, Tyler drove for me and Jodie took over my wheel. Just like the old days. As soon as he pulled on the parking in the basement, he reached for my seat belt. It's nothing. I can feel his breathe against mine, nothing more nothing less. He did it. He did kiss me but I felt nothing. It took me a few seconds to respond but not in equal passion. His hands travelled from my hair, lower and lower down to my waist. I just closed my eyes feeling his soft kisses on my neck but he stopped when he realized that I'm not that passionate. Of course, we've done more than that. We swam in the ocean to reach the ocean floor and even dug under the earth up to the core.

Silence poured. I fixed my just made out hair and my shirt. I looked up to him, he was disappointed. I don't know if it's me or him.