RTOL 20

Chapter 20

"You look great." A familiar voice at my back appeared. Looking at the mirror, mom was getting closer—she was on her white glittering shawl. She was as stunning as a twinkling star that I get to see in a starry night.

"Of course, where will I inherit such awful looks?"

We just both let out a small laugh. Mom huffed out a breath as she looked me over once again. I felt butterflies, unicorns and cotton candies because at last, I knew what the real meaning of family is—father and mother I love you. As if it's just yesterday, hatred was filling my heart. But now, a simple smile brings me to the rest of eternity.

My hair was perfectly tied into a simple bun, a light blush-on my cheeks, and my eyes were emphasized. The dress was pretty good. Mom's choice!

"I'm good to go," I uttered then she took my hand and I smooth sailed with her to where people were waiting for me.

People don't get the real score why they were at my party. As they know, the party was just a simple welcome home party because I just came from New York but the real thing was we were reunited as a family. Of course, few people in this party knew it, the ones that were close to my heart.

From upstairs, I did see a lot of my relatives from both sides, friends, neighbors, and my parents' colleagues. They were enjoying the company of each other, pulling from one table to another. My hands began to sweat—nervous to face all the people waiting for me. I have this so-called past fright. I mean, I'm afraid to hark back in the past especially those times with my cousins.

What am I afraid for, really? I have my mom, my dad, they're my everything. This party was supposed to be postponed because dad was still at the hospital but mom have nothing to do but to endure it because the party was prepared in rush and invitations were already given. Well, I couldn't blame anyone but me, a grand welcome home party indeed!

On top of that, dad was already awake and I went home for good—a perfect time to celebrate. I knew I was for a lot of reasons and racing was the fact that I would be leaving soon. I could stay with mom and dad for good but not to leave racing.

I could take a flight every now and then to New York if I want to, there's AMD Air for that, our private plane—the ones that dad and mom is using in business trips and family trips before. If I would do that, I'll miss my New York apartment that witnessed all my ups and downs and of course, my neighbors. Was there specifically someone else I could miss there?

People started to keep silence with them when the spotlight turned on.

Just in time, Jodie came into view on our main door with her family. Then there's Peter, tailing to them.

Waiting him to come out from our fucking door gave me such disappointment. Did I invite him, right? Maybe, he was stuck in the traffic or he couldn't find someone to drive for him, our license were suspended for a few days since yesterday and Peter was with Jodie. But there's Vanessa! Marc, don't disappoint me for the nth time. I am already fed-up—tired of assuming.

Mom planted a kiss on my cheeks and left when she was called by the hostess. I'm left alone, hoping a fairy tale that Marc will suddenly appear at the end of the staircase and take my hand for a dance or a white horse with Marc on it will take me somewhere under the moon and the stars so that my nervousness will fade down. But yet, no Marc. End of the fairy tale, Mitch.

Reality woke me up.

The string ensemble started and the hostess called my name then mentioning why I am not coming down. Really? I don't know how many times my name was called.

I could see a presence of a man at the end of a staircase but the light striking straight on my face was making him difficult to see. I gripped hard on the rails to assure I won't be tripped. I can't remember how many times I stumbled on this stairs when I am wearing heels and a long gown a few years ago even if I only have a few steps left until I reach downstairs.

He was dressed in an awesome black suit and a perfectly tied bow tie. Somewhere along his rugged feature and classy look of his clothing was close to perfection. I just couldn't point out what made his look so great. It could be his suit and tie, or was just purely Marc and his charms.

"You look beautiful," he said, landing his eyes on mine.

Suddenly, Tyler came from Marc's back, offering me a hand. I thought he was done on me. Why is he here? How rude am I if I'm not going to take his hands? As if I have a choice. I took Tyler's hand. Marc, trailing his eyes on us.

"Why are you here?" I alleged, enough that only him can hear me, sounding that I'm getting rid of him.

"Ask your mom. She begged me to come here for you. I still got boyfriend privileges." Tyler laughed while he's escorting me to the center.

We're like kids fighting in front of many people. The only difference was they don't have any idea what we're whispering to each other, they don't have any idea that we've broken up. Above all that, they can still see us going out together—but with a group.

"On the first place, why didn't you tell me that you're coming here? And you didn't tell mom that we've broken up already?"

"First, I know that you're coming home, you told me but I don't know that you have this party. It's an impulse that I come here. Like I said, your mom begged me to come. I didn't said that we broke up because she didn't ask. Aren't you happy that I'm here? Are you that eager to get rid of me? Well, it's not my fault if people don't know about our break-up. There's no third party, right babe?" He brought me to the center.

"Aren't you gonna take this seriously? People think that we're still together. I may even not told the public about it, but you pretended to my mom that we're still together."

He landed his two fingers on my lips, "Can we please talk about this later? Let's just enjoy the night."

All people met my eyes greeted us with a smile. I responded with a fake smile. Tyler was already abusing the privilege mom gave him. The thought that everyone still believe that we're still in each other's arms. There's nothing wrong about it but what will Marc think? Oh my! Why am I too afraid about what will Marc think?

Tyler was actually nice. I never regret that he became a part of my life. He was too caring and never failed to amaze me in any way. From surprises to promises that he always take me to the rest of forever. He may be brought me to a place where I can forget all my past but only in temporary. In fact, he was very fun and good-looking like Jodie always says that I am very lucky that a guy like him would love me—all of me. He is someone you would want to sniff just to see if he actually smell as nice as he looked kind of good-looking.

There, Marc stood in one corner, his eyes trailing us. I don't want to assume that his some kind of jealous. When he caught my eyes, I shifted it to Tyler.

Mom was busy talking, pulling in from one table to another. She would appear and disappear in my vision but she always finds her way back.

The next thing I gazed to where he was, I saw a familiar face acting all wantonly with him. Even if I am not certain to what she's saying or what's on her mind, I know that she's trying to flirt him, I do know how flirt my cousin is—Charlyn, my flirtious cousin. Well, she's trying to take my title 'Mitch bitch'. Hey cousin, 'Charlyn Bitch' doesn't sound so good!

"Let's go," Tyler took my hand, intertwining it to his. I just smiled and nodded my head. I don't think I could bear another hour in his company. That could be so masochistic of me. But I couldn't swallow if I would make a scene here. I couldn't argue to him right now but I will find a perfect time for it. I don't care if I am too selfish not thinking of his feelings because it's not the perfect timing—in this party. Despite of everything, I don't want Tyler to feel that I really wanted to get rid of him—he was too nice. Everyone says that I am lucky having him but at the back of my mind, Tyler was very unfortunate for loving me.