RTOL 25

Chapter 25

Marc and I went to a movie, Monday evening, after our legendary finish in Sonoma Raceway for Toyota/Savemart 350, Sunday evening. I crossed the finish line first, he finished second and we were trailing and shifting positions the entire race. We watched a romantic comedy, which he said he enjoyed as much as I did. Afterward, using two straws, we shared a single chocolate milkshake like a couple of giggling teenagers.

Another week had past—a lot had happened. It was like in my dreams before that everything was perfect. There were so many questions in life. You couldn't have all the answers in just a click but at least you'll have at the time you need it. Dad finally recovered, mom and I were okay, and Marc is willing to wait for me even if how long it takes.

What more could I ask for? Really, I could not ask for more.

"Young lady, wake up," Jodie pretended to be our maid by calling me 'young lady'. Of course, Jodie is Jodie—I could recognize her voice right away.

I rolled over, pulling my pillow over my face. "No," I said, my voice muffled. "Another hour."

"No way." I felt fingers flickering my bare feet. "Hurry up. I'll be outside."

Still half asleep, I heard her leave the room, then seconds later, she opened it again. "Forgot uncle's going home? Double A's waiting for you, Mitch. AMD is not going to be AMD without M."

Another slam of the door behind her. I lazed there for a while, so tempted to let sleep pull me in and under, back to dreaming. But then, I pushed the pillow off my face and sat up in bed, looking out to the full-length window with a perfectly tied black and white checkered floor length curtain beside me. The sky was clear and blue, the waves crashing close in. Another nice day.

I was still yawning even after I already took a shower as I stepped out into our dining room where mom was sitting at the table, scanning through a newspaper, and Jodie was flipping through a magazine.

I rolled a hair tie off my wrist and tied my hair up in a messy bun. "Good morning," I greeted them as I fix my canvas shoes.

Jodie stared at mom who's busy on her newspaper, she's trying to say something but she can't say it in front of my face. Mom wasn't even looking at her. "We're going to AMD after we fetch your dad from the hospital. You know what I'm thinking," Jodie said, not even looking at me, as if we'd been talking and picking up where we'd left off. "You should change."

I ignored what Jodie said. Instead, I closed the space between mom and me, stepping towards her. "Good morning, mom," I said, as I bent down and kissed her cheek.

"Good morning, my princess," she smiled, then picked her hot chocolate mug, taking the newspaper off her. Mom doesn't drink coffee to lessen her caffeine intake. If she does, she drinks the decaffeinated one. She took a sip.

"Give her freedom. She stays lovely whatever she wears."

"But mom?" I did love this changes—mom allowing me to wear whatever I want. I sighed a deep. "I'm sorry, I thought we are just going to the hospital that's why I just slipped on my jeans."

Good girl, Mitch! You're doing great! You know the first few steps are the hardest part!

For the record, I became look conscious even if there were no occasion.

It's hard to go wrong to wear appropriate office dresses but I really did. For occasions, I do wear dresses but I do have a stylist. Now, I chose those in my closet with my own fashion sense.

As I was going downstairs, mom was talking on the phone and stopped when I'm already a few steps down. I didn't pay attention to times or distance, instead focusing on how it felt just to be in motion with my attire, knowing it wasn't about the finish line but how I got there that mattered.