RTOL 17

Chapter 17

"I can't believe you dragged me into this mess," I uttered as I stood in the middle of the small room. I always get in trouble whenever I'm with him. Behind me was the indication that I was—for the first time in my life—a prisoner. Yes, I was imprisoned before but not in a cell. I was imprisoned by my own mom in my own room. The cell bars, once painted in grey, now scraped and stained with rust and other things, allowed my brain to venture to the worst possible things that could happen to me.

But what happens next? I'll have a bad driving record and people will start to gossip about us— chasing each other on the road. Now, we won't be able to count the number of times we're broadcasted on television.

"Just relax. Nothing bad's going to happen. Why don't you give me a favor? Sit down and be quiet."

"Tell me, do you really think I can just sit down and act like nothing's gonna happen? I might lose my driving privileges." I rested my hands on my hips, trying to calm myself down. "How can you just sit there looking like you're in a freaking café?" I asked, looking down at him. He was sitting and leaning against the dirty wall with his sunnies on, free of fear.

Marcus snorted and patted the empty space beside him. "Come, sit down. Just relax, Mitch."

"Oh c'mon! How can I just relax? Because of you, I might have a record now! What would others think then?"

He frowned. "Don't you think you are over-reacting? It was just over speeding. Besides, we're racers, don't you remember that?" I just can't. I want to splash a boiling water on his face, really. "Did you, by any chance, kill someone earlier?"

"What the hell are you talking about? Wait, the point about this is that you started it! You roared your engine first!" I launched a finger on his chest.

"Woah! Why are you putting the blame on me now? I'm here because I wanted to; and it only goes to show that you're here because of your own will. I just cannot understand why you're blaming me always."

Silence stretched, a long one, in between us. I started pacing around the small room, waiting. I rolled my eyes in frustration when Marcus slid to the end of the bench and laid down along its length, his arms over and under his head. I thought, "What's up with this man?"

It took another ten minutes for my legs to feel the strain. I tried to be still by holding on the cell bars. I could compare myself to a water dam that's about to overflow, or maybe a fountain which is about to burst, but I don't want to show any streak of weakness. I know I am strong, and I wanna come out strong.

"This is all because of you, Marc," I whispered, still holding the cell bars. "I want everything to die down, yet it doesn't seem so good, that's because you're here....again," I continued in frustration.

"What did I just hear? Did you just say that everything happened because of me?" I am frightened, the sweet voice came just right after my ears. I don't want to look back for I know he was behind me. I didn't want him to hear it, I swear.

My bulb lit up. "What I mean is, because of you, we are here! I mean it!" I turned vigorously to face him. His face was only a few inches away. The air became ragged when he stepped closer. Soon, he stationed his left hand on the cell bar beside my head. Just one wrong move and our lips will meet.

"Fine! I guess there's nothing more I can do, but to accept whatever you're saying." He made his way back to the bench. "You want me to die? Did I hear it right, Mitch?" He smiled and winked when he laid back down.

I shifted my way back in holding the cell bars. "What's taking so long? We've been here for a long period of time. I want to get out of this prison cell already," I cried.