RTOL 14

Chapter 14

I was pretty of angry at him even after the incident. Yes, incident. I know, he really did it with intent. Much to my dismay, cameras and recorders gathered around us at the end of the pit road but I didn't comment anything.

"I am very sorry for what happened. We were having brake troubles all night. I didn't mean to run into her back with three laps to go. It's not like I did that on purpose," Marc said.

When I heard that, it made me boil from where I stood. He's got the nerve lying to them like that! I wanted to dash over him and cut his tongue off.

"I admit that I probably erred by continuing to race too hard when I was having brake trouble," he continued.

My temper was about to outburst and I couldn't help but to stomp like I was sticking a puzzle mat together on the floor leading towards him. I swear I have no idea how many times my name was called. It's getting kind of annoying. Mitch! Mitch! Mitch there, Mitch here, Mitch that, Mitch everywhere. They are overusing my bitchy name. Yeah, Mitch bitch but I prefer Mitch witch.

"What are you doing? Seriously?" I exclaimed, launching a tirade inches on his face as he tries to calm me down, holding his hand up in surrender.

"What am I supposed to say other than the truth?" he said. "We didn't have any brakes going into the corner. I know better than to run into you because it gets so much attention. There wasn't anything I could do."

"Anything else?" I demanded. "I'm a lot better about not letting it get the best of me. And what I learned a long time ago is when I get upset, I really don't care what people think or say about me. But it creates a lot of drama, and there's a lot of clean-up work you have to do."

And who likes clean-up work?

"I don't like having to do that," I continued, "Sometimes it's easier to just bite your tongue. But I think that knowledge that comes with age. It's age and maturity." I managed to wag a finger at him. "At some point in time, I have to stand up for myself, or everybody's going to do it."

"I mean, as hard as I hit you, what the hell did you think I was doing? Trying to wreck you?" he said, sounding in disbelief. He added, "We ain't got no problem, right? It's not like we were having a problem out on the race track, Mitch. It's not like I just drew your name out of a hat and decided that you're the one I was going to run into tonight."

"Yes, you're trying to wreck me." The lump on my throat was getting bigger. "You already wrecked me, Marc. You've done it and it was a roaring success. You're the only man who wrecked me that much. Congrats!"

Marc's face was blank. C'mon! Really? You don't have any idea, Marc? I already slap it onto your face.

I managed to hold the inevitable tears trying to beat me. I can't be here anymore, around him, around of all these people. I walked away briskly without further comments after I let everything out. That was the very first moment that I don't care of what people will say about me. Marshals kept the gathered cameras and recorders away while I'm making my way back to my team. Mr. Parker making his way to me, I shook my head, passing to him. No one gets it. Only Jodie understands me in a way others never will.

"What the hell is on your mind, Mitch?" He's trying to exert dominance over me. "They advised that they're having brake troubles all night, don't you get it?" he explained.

"I'm sorry Sir, but you all don't get it."

I walked out, trying to conquer my shaky feeling, like I could cry.

"Mitch, come back! Where are you going?" He trailed after me into the sprint fan zone. Crowd assembled when they saw me. I saw Mr. Parker remained stationary where I left him off, he was stopped by the crowd.