Chapter 20

1 month later

Meridas P.O.V

I woke up early and quickly jumped out of bed. I looked at my calendar and started laughing. 'Febuary 12'. I turned and went to shake Hiccup but he wasnt in his bed. I ran downstairs to the kitchen, nobody is there either. I check Gus's office, but it was empty. I went into the main dining area and it was dark, but suddenly the lights came on and I jumped when I saw everyone standing there with Gus and Hiccup at the front. "Happy birthday Merida!!" I smiled and ran over to Hiccup giving him a tight hug, then I hugged Gus. "Thank you everyone! I didnt expect this!" One of the waitresses Honey Lemon walked over with a cake that had candles on it. She lit them and everyone sang happy birthday to me as she sat it on the table. I counted the candles as I waited for them to finish. '10.' I blew them all out and started laughing as they all cheered.

We had cake, and some breakfast, then Gus walked over with a large box. He put it down and opened the lid. "Happy birthday dear, these are your presents from myself, and everyone else here at the diner." I jumped up and clapped. "Thank you everyone!" I started opening them all, and I was surprised by what they were. Everything kind of matched me, there was books about archery, animals, the history of different countries. There was some clothes, and even toys. After i opened them all, i thanked everyone again, but then i realized that Hiccup didnt put a gift in the box. i shrugged it off, and started to put all the gifts in the box again so i can bring it to the room. I felt a hand on my shoulder stopping me, I turned to see Hiccup. "Dont think i forgot to get you a gift." He smiled at me as he held out a gift bag. "Happy birthday Mer." I smiled and hugged him quickly, then opened the gift.

it was a book of beginner spells. i gave him a funny look. "dont worry, i knew youd need it one day, but i also have a special delivery for you. it was dropped off a few days ago, but i have no idea what it is." i gave him a funny look as Gus brought over another box, smaller then the first, but it seemed heavy. "make sure you read the card first Mer." I nodded and grabbed the card that was on top of it. 'For Merida, Happy birthday! Dont think we forgot, we could never forget such a special day! I know we havent been friends that long, and we havent seen eachother in a long time now, and Im sorry for that. I really wish we could be there for your special day, but we cant this time. One day we will be reunited, and we will celebrate one of your future birthdays together as a group again! We love you Merida, so much. We miss both you and Hiccup, (I hope youre keeping him out of trouble) and we love you both very much! I hope you enjoy your gift, I know one day youll need these, or you might need them now! Once again, happy birthday! We miss you! We love you!

Love Elsa and Jack'

I started sniffling as I began crying after the letter. I couldnt hold it back, and I started balling my eyes out. I miss my friends, and I love them too! Hiccup quickly wrapped his arms around me and started to calm me down. "I miss them! I wish they were here!" He rubbed my back. "I know Mer, I do too." After awhile I managed to calm down enough to open the box. I started pulling stuff out and I was once again surprised. There was spell books, potion books, books on magical beasts, lots of stuff. I started crying again as I packed it back up. "Thank you everyone! So much!" They all smiled at me and nodded as one by one they came over and hugged me. After awhile I had Hiccup help me get it all to our room, and I curled up in my bed still crying slightly. He came over and laud down infront of me with his arms open. I snuggled into him as he hugged me and rubbed my back. "Itll be okay Mer." I nodded my head in agreement, and after awhile I eventually fell asleep thinking about our small group of friends.

~~~TimeSkip~~~

I woke up to the sound of people downstairs. I listened closely and realized that its just the lunch rush. I looked around and saw Hiccup sitting by the window with a book in his hands. I sat up and opened my mouth to say something when suddenly he looked at me and shook his head. I stopped and gave him a funny look. He waved me over, and once I sat next to him he pointed out the window and my eyes were wide. It was Snow! She was with an officer, he looked really familiar. Then I realized who it was, he was the one that brought Elsa to the orphanage, and he was the one who set up the mission for Jack and Hiccup to protect me and Elsa. I looked at Hiccup wide eyed and he nodded. He put a finger to his mouth and he slowly cracked the window open so we could hear them talking, and thats when I heard Honey Lemon talking. "Oh Tadashi, are you really going to question me about this? I dont know where those children are, and from the photo you showed me, I only recognize the blonde from when you brought her here before taking her to Miss Snow."

I watched him shake his head. "Honey Lemon, dont lie to me. You must know something about this. Yes were happy about all the kids that have been adopted or taken into fosters, but every parent who has applied and has told us that this diner specifically is the reason why! That they loved seeing the young ones who were here for a while helping with tables and everything. All of them described them, and they match these four perfectly!" She shook her head. "I dont know what youre talking about!" Snow stepped forward. "Tadashi, calm down. Honey Lemon, please. The two boys arent orphans. Only the girls are, the girls stayed with each of the boys, the four are very close. They all ran off nearly a year ago. We have no idea where they are, nobodys heard from them, or seen them. We just want to bring them home." She shook her head, but before she could speak I heard Gus. "Excuse me, Im sorry to interrupt. I need Honey Lemon, were packed right now and we need everyone on deck at this moment in time." Snow sighed and nodded. "Yes, of course. Im sorry for keeping her away so long, and Im sorry for questioning you Honey Lemon. Please contact us if you see any of them, please. We just want to get them home safely." They both nodded and walked back inside as the officer and Snow left.

I was going to say something when suddenly Hiccup pushed me away from the window and dragged me to the ground holding me down. He quickly covered my mouth with his hand. "Shhh." We laid there quietly until we heard the car start and drive off. He peaked out the window, then let me go. "What was that for?" He closed the window and turned to me. "They almost spotted us. If they catch us, we will be taken back. Youll be back in the orphanage and I will be back with my parents. They wont let us stay together anymore if they catch us." He put his head down and sighed. "We wont be able to stay here much longer Mer..." I started shaking my head. "No.. I dont want to leave. Were supposed to stay here, atleast until Elsa and Jack come back. Or they contact us so we know where to find them. We cant leave Hiccup..." He sighed and looked up at me. "Soon, we wont have a choice.. Its the same as last time, they hear about this place and hang around it. We cant keep putting Gus and the others at risk. We need to talk to him, and find out a different place to stay for the time being."

I let my shoulders slouch and i dropped my head, nodding. "Okay.. I know." He gently grabbed my hand making me look up at him. "Itll be okay, Merida. We will get through this, together." I nodded and smiled slightly as I hugged him. After a bit we decided to head downstairs and talk to Gus, we dont want to, but once again we need to leave this place.

We walked into his office, and by the look on his face he knew what we wanted to talk about. "I know, you need to find a new place to stay. Well I have the perfect place for you two." We looked at eachother surprised. "Where?" Gus smiled. "My home, instead of staying in the diner, you can live at my house. more space, more privacy, and nobody here actually knows where i live currently. if you two want it." We started nodding excitedly and he laughed. "Okay, lets pack your stuff, move it, and get you guys settled before planning the next move." We both smiled at eachother and nodded as we ran over and jumped on him, hugging him tight. He hugged us back. "I love you both, you mean a lot to me. I cant lose you two, not now when youre still just beginning your missions."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hope yall enjoyed!

have a good night/day!

peace✌️