xviii. A DAY OUT IN HOGSMEADE

𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒

''It's perfect Madame, this will do nicely.''

• ── ≪ ✧ ◦《✩》◦✧ ≫ ── •

IT WAS THREE WEEKS LATER, AND THE YULE BALL was tomorrow eve. 

The Castle was alive with the approaching celebration. 

House elves were frantic as they tried to perfect last minute decorations in the halls and even the teaches were more lenient in lessons. 

Sirius hadn't been chastised by McGonagall for not handing in his transfiguration essay, nor told off by Professor Silverstone for the three week late DADA quiz that was bound to have guaranteed him a detention by now. 

It was as if he were constantly waiting for the shoe to drop. For McGonagall to turn around and look him straight in the eye with her half moon spectacles and demand the lost study. 

However it never happened. 

In fact, McGonagall was in even higher spirits than the other faculty members. 

She was practically glowing as Sirius passed her in the halls- physical evidence that Christmas could turn even the sternest souls into giddy idiots. Not- that Minnie was an idiot, Merlin James would have his head if he knew that Sirius had thought those words- even on accident. 

Speaking of the ape. 

James Potter and Rosie McNamara strolled up to Sirius, hand in hand, cheeks pink from the outside weathers chill. Sirius grinned up at them from his position underneath the courtyards great oak tree. 

''Oi Pads!'' James hollered. ''What did McKinnon say?'' 

Sirius snapped shut the book he'd been reading with a cocky smirk. ''What do you think?''

James plopped down beside the boy as Rosie headed off to her group of friends across the courtyard.

''Do you really want to know what I think-''

James let out a hoarse yelp as Sirius smacked him across the head with the closed book. 

''Course she said yes, Prongs.'' He grinned. ''Although my proposal wasn't nearly as grand as yours.'' 

James smirked. ''It did catch Rosie by surprise-''

Sirius suddenly frowned. ''If only it hadn't been interrupted by Estella.'' He muttered.