Chapter 30

Wherever I go,
you'll always be my
final destination

The bell has already rang, pero ayaw pa 'kong pakawalan ng mga estudyante ko. This is my last day here, so I let them have more of my time.

"We'll miss you, Ms. Cheska."

I smiled at Sattiana. "I know we'll meet again, Satti."

Sattiana is a Filipino studying here in Canada. She's from the Zamora and Sandoval clan—two of the most powerful families in our country. But unlike the façade of her family, she's way too soft.

I hugged Satti as we arrived at the faculty room. I could see the sadness in her eyes, so I genuinely smiled at her one more time.

"I promise to visit you when I come back here," I said.

The girl pouted. "If I can ask my Dad to move back to Manila, I will." She sighed. "But my Mom's work is here."

"Hey, Satti. I promise I'll make time to visit you."

"I will also try to ask Tita Olivia to bring me to Manila on holiday or vacation."

Hindi ko mapigilang mapangiti dahil ginawa talagang malaking problema ni Satti ang pag-alis ko. Her parents' work are here, so she's also here. I know her parents don't want her out of their sight, so as long as I can convinced her that I will have time to visit her, I would. Ayokong maging rason upang mahiwalay siya sa mga magulang niya.

After minutes of assuring my student, iniwan niya na 'ko dahil kailangan niya pang gawin ang ibang tasks niya. Pumasok naman ako sa faculty pag-alis niya. And to my surprise, confettis are already scattered around the floor.

"What is this?" nangangapang tanong ko.

"A farewell party," Ms. Smith answered.

"But... Why?"

Mr. and Ms. Smith looked dumbfounded at my response.

"Today is your fucking last day!"

"Yes, I know," I said. "But you have your classes."

"Students told us to give you a farewell party," Mr. Smith uttered. "Of course, they would. They don't fucking want to attend class!"

Napailing na lamang ako sa kanilang dalawa. May pa-cake pa kasi silang handa. Ang sabi nila'y pinaghatian daw iyon ng mga estudyante. Mr. and Ms. Smith are twins. They are my co-teachers here in Canada. Sila rin iyong naging close ko sa dami namin dito.

"You need to clean this."

"No." Ms. Smith shook her head. "The students wanted this so that they would clean this."

Hindi na 'ko nakatakas sa farewell party na hinanda nila kaya matapos kong i-blow iyong candle ay kumain na rin kami. Sa tuwing may papasok na ibang co-teacher namin ay aalukin lang sila ni Mr. Smith ng pagkain para mawala roon sa kalat ang tingin nila.

"You have our contacts, right?" Ms. Smith asked, so I immediately nodded my head. "Don't forget to message us. And don't forget that you'll tour us when we visit the Philippines."

"You should also show us the Santa Cruz!" Mr. Smith added.

Napangiti na lamang ako dahil sa isang taon kong pananatili rito, nakuwento ko na rin sa kanila iyong Santa Cruz. I told them about my past, and unlike the reactions of my co-teachers back in Santa Cruz, Mr. and Ms. Smith were more open about it. They would cheer me whenever they see me down and frowning.

They are very different from the people I met and trust in Santa Cruz.

After the farewell they threw at the faculty, we went back to reality. Nilagay ko sa isang maliit na box iyong mga natitirang gamit sa table ko. Unti-unti ko nang inuwi iyong mga gamit ko kaya konti na lang ang natira ngayon.