Chapter 4 | First Battle

8 p.m.

Mitachi Park

'Assassin' POV

"This is the place, 'Master'."

"Yeah. This should be it, 'Assassin'. I have warned you before that it is risky to accept the challenge, yet here we are!" Hachijou says with a shrug.

About 2 hours ago, the 'sponsors' supposedly notified all Masters that the Master of Lancer had declared that they would take on all of us in this very place.

What a bold move, but they clearly have some sort of plan in mind.

Me and 'Master' notice a presence coming closer to our direction at breathtaking speed.

"Here it comes!" Hachijou alerts as she distances herself from me.

"Blood Arts: Sword!"

*Clang!*

My blade... clashes against a bluish, crystalline, skull of humongous proportions?

"Hehehe-hahaha!!! I have found you! Hey, are you Lancer?" The female Servant says.

I unmake my blood sword and duck under the skull.

"Blood Arts: Spear!"

In a split second, I thrust the blood spear, hoping to pierce through the skull and onto the Servant. But then...

*Clang!*

"What?! How tough is this oversized cranium?!"

"You didn't answer my question..." The female Servant says as she launches several small fiery skulls at me.

*Crash!*

"Guh!!!"

It hurts! But I must stand my ground!

"Hey, I'm asking you again. Are you Lancer?" The female Servant asks seriously this time.

"Hah! And what if I am?"

"Your 'Master' is quite cute! After I'm done with you, I shall add her head to my collection! Hehehe, more friends for Jokanaan!" The female Servant says with a disturbing tone.

My spear clashes with her fiery skulls, then her oversized skull, and then, her silver platters thrown at high speed.

*Clang!*

*Clang!*

*Shlink!*

"Gah!"

Tch, the platter grazes my left arm!

"What's wrong? What's wrong?! Don't tell me that this is all you've got!" The female Servant continuously barrages me with her uncanny projectiles.

"What are you?! You fight like an Archer, yet you act like a Berserker!"

"You got it! Congratulations! I am a Berserker!" Berserker reveals it nonchalantly.

"Eh? She's the Berserker?" Hachijou says in surprise.

"I cannot tell whether you are telling the truth or not. Still, Berserker, huh? You did not look like the typical ones. How should I say it? You look... rather refined despite wearing nothing but your *ahem* undergarments."

"Why thank you! I shall take that as a compliment..... with your head as well!" Berserker says as she charges at me once more.

Why is she so obsessed with heads?

"Oh bollocks! A little help please, 'Master'?!"

"Oh? You can't handle her on your own? I thought a Servant should fight in place of their Master?" Hachijou taunts.

"Blood Arts: Shield!"

*Clang!*

I block her strike.

"Oi! Oi! I am serious here! I am ill equipped to handle this deranged lady!"

Now that I take a closer look, the large skull does not seem to have other attacks than a bite and a headbutt!

"Give me your head!" Berserker says.

The crystalline skull keeps trying to bite without stopping.

"Guh! 'Master'!"

"Yes, yes. I heard you, my 'Servant'. Very well, I shall follow your style!" Hachijou says as she does those ridiculous 'anime ninja' handposes.

Her paper familiars appear.

"Chiyogami Arts: Sakura Fubuki!" Hachijou shouts.

The paper familiars surround the Berserker, forming a dome. Then, one by one, they burst into several petal-like fragments, hailing down on the Berserker like the falling cherry blossoms during the Spring.

It is somewhat like an early hanami. A beautiful performance, as expected of Assassin.

"How was that, my 'Servant'? I'm cool, right?" Hachijou says proudly.

"Do not let your guard down, 'Master'! She is yet to be incapacitated!"

Berserker bursts out of the pile of papers with ease. She seems much more excited than before!

"Not yet! I haven't taken your head!" Berserker says.

"I'm sorry, but did I come late to the party?" A man says.

"What?! Who?!"

Standing beside the two of us are 2 figures, one is a red haired man wearing a red changshan, while the other is a black haired man wearing a dark green hanfu.

"Who the hell are you?! Can't you see we're in the middle of a battle?" Hachijou exclaims unamused.

The man chuckles.

"Looks like I came in uninvited. Sorry for interrupting your battle, madame. I'm the Master of Lancer, Hei Hua Jin, and this is my Servant, Lancer." Hua Jin responds nonchalantly.

"Greetings." Lancer says.

"Oh? So you're the REAL Lancer?! I see, I see! You look fiercer than the phony! Ehehehehehe, well, having 2 heads is better than one! *Lick lips* Your heads will be mine!" Berserker shouts, charging to our direction, but then....

*Shing!*

Suddenly, Berserker is enveloped in bright light.

"What? No fair, Master! The fun is just getting started!" Berserker pouts as she disappears.

"Tch, I didn't get to see Berserker's Master. Anyway, where was I? Ah yes! So about the challenge...." Hua Jin says before he gets cut off.

"Blood Arts: Spear!"

*Clang!*

My spear clashes with Lancer's spear.

"Not bad, but could've been better. Must be self-taught, which explains the awkward grip." Lancer taunts.

"How about this!"

I push him back and twirl my spear, aiming for a thrust to his heart.

Lancer instead drops his spear and catches mine with his bare hands!

What?!

"Again, awkward grip. I can disarm you like this." Lancer pulls my spear towards him, catching me off guard, and in a split second,

*POW!*

Lancer punches me on the ribs, fracturing my bones!

"Gah!"

I crashed to the ground, beaten and battered.

"My 'Servant'!" Hachijou cries.

"Enough, Lancer! We're not here to fight." Hua Jin orders.

"..... As you wish, Master." Lancer heeds and back off.

.

.

.

Bollocks!