Chapter 9 | A Strange Encounter

9 a.m.

The Streets

On a Friday morning, emerges outside of a market are 2 definitely inconspicuous men. Walking besides the pale undead is a man a head taller than him and in a bluish kimono with a tophat, carrying groceries. He is none other than Katsura Shingetsu, the landlord of Katsura Apartments.

Freud POV

"You sure that's all you're getting for today?" Katsura asks.

"Yes. We have enough food at home, Landlord-dono."

"I mean, it would make your girlfriend's day better if you got her some potato chips or something." Katsura says.

I pinch my bridge.

"I told you before, Hachijou is not my girlfriend. Takeru-dono misunderstand things. We have not even begun performing romantic acts such as handholding yet."

Katsura snickers.

"Yet you say. Honestly, you need someone like her to understand how modern life works. You are so clueless with everything, Floyd-kun! Also, handholding, huh? How lewd~" Katsura says.

Hm? A hopeless neet like her who does not even leave her house at all?

"What do you mean lewd?"

"Oh, nothing to worry about. It's just a silly cliché, that's all! Hahaha...." Katsura says awkwardly.

"Anyway, let us go and-"

?!

The two men notice something out of the ordinary. A girl, about 14 in age, clothed in a gray, one-piece dress, is on the side of the crosswalk, seemingly unconscious. Yet for some reason, no one is helping her at all?

"There's someone there laying on the ground!" Katsura shouts.

Me and Landlord-dono hurryingly went to her side. I touch her body to check for her pulse, looking for any other abnormalities.

"! Her breathing slowed down tremendously!"

"I will call the ambulance!" Katsura says.

"No! She will not make it by then!"

I carried the girl in a piggyback form.

"I will see you there, Landlord-dono!"

The pale undead sprint to the nearest hospital, leaving Katsura behind with dust clouds.

"Woah, he's fast." Katsura says.

10 a.m.

NHO Himeji Medical Center

Emergency Room

"Mr. Freud Arrenbach and Mr. Katsura Shingetsu?" A nurse asks.

"Yes, that is us!" Me and Landlord-dono respond in unison.

"Please head inside." She says.

Entering the room, the two men are greeted by the sight of a girl with dollish features, shoulder-length blonde hair, and red eyes sitting on the bed. She seems very healthy despite being unconscious moments ago.

"Good morning." The girl says.

"A-Are you okay? Do you have any injuries? Have you-" Katsura says before he gets cut off by the doctor.

"*Ahem* Mr. Katsura and Mr. Arrenbach?" The Doctor asks.

"Yes, we are here."

"She has some bruises on her, but otherwise, she seems to be well." The Doctor says.