Chapter 1 | First Meeting

7 March 2022

8 a.m.

Freud POV

The pale undead rises from his slumber, feeling hungry, but quickly shakes it off.

"*Yawn*.... Thank heavens that I managed to awaken early this time."

"Oh, you're awake, Master! Ohayou!" A girl says.

"Good Morning...... Huh?"

I manifest a blood sword and aim at her neck.

"Who are you? What are you doing in my homebase? How did you get here? Who sent you? Is it the Clock Tower? Atlas? Church? ANSWER ME!"

"Eek! Jeez, calm down, Master! You're acting like an Edgy protagonist!" The girl says as she puts her hands up.

"Master? I did not remember hiring a street walker!"

"Wha? Ch-Chigawrong! It's not like that! Let me explain!" The girl said as she points towards my chest.

"I was summoned here as an Assassin class Servant! Those red symbols known as Command Spells there should serve as proof. You know, the Holy Grail War thing?" The girl says.

I look at my chest and indeed there are red symbols on it.

Since when did that get there?

"Holy Grail War? You mean the Holy Grail from the Arthurian Legends? There is a war for such a thing?"

"I have to start from there?!" The girl says in surprise.

"Yes, NOW DO IT!"

The Assassin girl talks about the Holy Grail War, how 7 magi pit against each other with their Servants in order to obtain the so-called omnipotent wishing device that is the Grail, the history behind it, the abilities of each Servant class, how she is summoned using her old kimono as a catalyst, there's a leyline spanning below the apartment, etc.

"So the Grail has chosen me as a participant for this stupid farce of conflict amongst magi? Good grief..... there is no shortage of humans obstructing my peace and freedom. Wait, did you just mention that we are on top of a leyline?"

"Th-That's not important now! All you need to know is that you have watashi as your reliable companion now!" The girl says with haste.

The pale undead shrugs as he unmakes his blood sword, lightening up the atmosphere a little.

"Fine then. Next question, what am I supposed to expect from you, my retainer?"

The girl grins smugly as she summons her paper familiars and twirls, dances, strikes poses, etc.

"I am an Assassin class Servant, so I'm specialized in sneak attacks like ninjas!" The girl says excitedly.

I look at her in a deadpan expression.

This girl stands out too much. Her color patterns, the bat hood thing, the almost western style dress, her paper familiars, etc. She looks like an actor for a Kabuki performance....

"Hey! I know what you're thinking! I may look like this, but I assure you that I can turn invisible to the naked-eye!" The girl says with pride.

"You mean getting ignored because the pedestrians see you as a weird abomination of fashion."

"Wha! Ki-Kisama! Don't you dare go Sigma male on me! I bet that you act this way because you're a weak Beta male!" The girl says agitated.

"Whatever. Anyway, I am Freud Arrenbach, your 'supposed' Master for this war. Would you kindly tell me your name, madame?"

Assassin blushes.

"A-Ara, you can act like an Ikemen! That's subaramazing! Don't think I fall for you though! Tonikaku! My true namae is Osakabehime! The one and only goddess (read: youkai) of Himeji castle! Applause-applause!" Assassin states and the paper familiars cheer for her.

That is somewhat adorable.

"Osakabe? You mean the spirit that is said to haunt Himeji Castle? I thought you were supposed to be a fox spirit. Why do you assume the bat motif?"

"K-Kora! Stop being so rude! I'm a josei at heart too you know! Well, the reason why I appears this way is because Tammy, my fellow youkai friend, said that she already occupies the fox motif and because Kiyohi is the dragon, I decided to go bat instead!" Assassin explains.

"Tammy? Kiyohi? Interesting, I thought you do not have any friends."

A fist came flying in my direction. I dodge it in time as she leaves a crack on the floor.

"DON'T YOU DARE INSINUATE THAT I'M ASOCIAL! Sure, being alone and having all the time on your own is fun, but having a NAKAMA that talks about our problems and hobbies is even better!" Assassin exclaims in fury.

Assassin suddenly went out of character. I better act fast before she turns me into a mincemeat!

I kneel in front of her dogeza style.

"I apologize for making light of your friendship, Assassin! I shall endure any punishment, but please do not end my life now before I get to see the modern world in its entirety!"

"Woah! Yabe! You're actually apologizing this much!? Has the quality of Masters getting sugoi after all these years?" Assassin says in admiration.

I raise my head.

"So you forgive me?"

"Hmph! Watashi will forgive your transgression this once! At least omae is better than the average magus." Assassin says.

Assassin stands up.

"Demo, this is the first time I was summoned as a Servant. To top it all off, to a Dead Apostle! I can brag to Tammy, Kiyohi, and Beni-shishou that my Master is a Dead Apostle!" Assassin says excitedly.

"So you know, huh? Well, technically, I am still not a Dead Apostle yet. I am but a mere Rank V, also known as Nightmare. Just one stage away from being a proper Dead Apostle."

"Majide? Well it's close enough! All you need to do is Level up! It shouldn't be hard, right?" Assassin says.

"Not hard, huh? Yeah, right..."

I tried to stand up, but collapsed soon after.

My consciousness is fading? Oh, I think I know what it is. It appears that my time has come. Darn it!

Author's Note: One chapter in, and I'm already cringing real hard. Osakabehime in the FGO JP version doesn't have this Japanglish fusion Yametekudastop thing afaik. But I felt like it's better to stay fateful with the well-known NA version. It adds a certain 'charm' to it, so it's not really a bad thing.
Also, for you readers who are able to read or speak Japanese: I'm sorry if I butcher some pronounciation or grammar, but please bear with me with the shitty Japanese. (^^")