Chapter 8 | Under the Night Sky

'Assassin' POV

"Blood Arts: Metamorph Leg"

Transforming his right foot into a blade, the pale undead stands still, raising his right foot perpendicular with his left knee as he waits for his opponent to strike.

"Come."

"Hoho! Interesting, VERY interesting! Can't wait to test that out!" Saber says excitedly.

The dual wielder was about to make a move, when suddenly...

*Bang!*

"What was that noise?!" Saber asks, startled.

"Tis coming from that direction!"

I hope you did not do something stupid, Assassin.

Me and Saber head to the direction where the sound is coming from. There we saw... a gaping hole on Matou Koji's chest and what appears to be smoke coming from Hachijou's fingertip.

"Master!" Saber hurriedly went to Koji's side.

"H-How?!" Koji shouts in shock.

"H-Have I gone too far?" Hachijou states with a surprised look.

"Master! I already told you not to fight other mages!" Saber scolds.

"Well, I do not know the context behind all this, but it looks like my 'Master' won the bout?"

Koji desperately tries to stand up, but fails.

"No, no, no, no! I can't afford to die here! I must claim back my title as the head of the Matou's! I have to defeat that interloper, Matou Sakura, and send her to hell where her father belongs! I have a purpose, I have a future to look forward to! No one would look down on me any longer! I am NOT weak! I AM STRONG! Guh!" Koji exclaims panicky.

"Master! Please get a hold of yourself!" Saber exclaims.

Another case of envy over the power succession in a magus family? History repeats itself too much.

The pale undead shrugs.

"For a man near 40 of age, you seem very motivated to show off your mettle, even if it would be at the expense of your family."

"S-Shut Up! With me gone, the Matou's are dead! That bitch was from the Tohsaka's and Shinji isn't even a magus! I.... must.... stop.... her..." Koji exhales as he won't last any longer.

Is that what drives you that much? Or was it something else?

"Tough luck, Matou Koji. But at the very least, you got to survive this long as a magus. Back in my day, living past 17 years was considered to be a miracle already for them. Your kin may not consider that as an achievement nowadays, but I still do."

"B-But! I have yet to..... to make a name.... for myself...." Koji stutters.

This brat knows naught of when to quit.

I tap his shoulder with what remains of my arm.

"Sleep well, soldier. You have done enough, so just let it go. I hope that you will find success in your next life."

"I..... Thanks..... 'Assassin'..... and Saber...." Koji mutters, breathing his last.

? I hear sobbing?

"*Sniff* I'm sorry, Master. I suppose to carve a path to victory with you, but once again, I have failed, like always....." Saber says, tears dropping his face.

*Sigh* Why do magi keep running this farce.... *Glances sideways* Assassin is awfully quiet for a while now.

"......." Hachijou stays silent.