Chapter 21 | Her Choice

5 p.m.

Room 101

Re: Anima POV

*Click* *Click* *Click*

A very intense gaming session is going on between the otaku girl and randoms on the internet.

"Protect the healer! Tank, what are you doing?!" Hachijou shouts.

"I'm bored."

Hachijou-san can stand sitting in her room all day long. I tried to entertain myself for a while, but now I've got nothing to do.

A random thought popped up.

What if I follow Floyd-san?

Helping my guardian with his work would be a great way to pass time. Furthermore, I could get a better sense of the city's layout outside than turtling up and hearing rumors from the sparrows.

For now, I should notify my 'guards'.

*Whistle*

A male house sparrow with a scratch on his beak showed up beside the window.

*Chirp* *Chirp?* (You need something, my lady?)

[Keep watch of her, okay? I need to go outside for a bit.]

*Chirp* *Chirp* (As you wish, my lady.)

[Thank you.]

I need to improve my Animal Communication skills so that I can convince them to stop referring to me as their superior...

The idea of servitude has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's one thing for it to be a job, but when it comes off as borderline slavery... I can't stand it.

What about Hein Portley?

Loathe as I am to admit it, he is the closest I have to a 'family' alongside Ge: Quil. He may be harsh, treating me like dirt, but... I can see that he still, no, he had acknowledged me 'having value' even if that entails being a mana battery...

Wouldn't that be an abusive relationship?

It was. I won't deny that, however, without Master Hein and Ge: Quil, I am nothing. There will be no Re: Anima. I lived my life thinking that he and my sister are the only people that I had. 'This is normal', 'It could've been worse', 'The outside world is horrible', these were my beliefs at the time, but now... I'm not sure.

Must be nice, huh? Being a freeloader to a 'loving' make-believe family.

That's-

"STOP FUCKING AROUND!!! YOU PLAYED LIKE A ROOKIE!" Hachijou snaps.

*Shudders*

"I- I should get going now..."

*Click!*

Following the chirps, the buzz, the meows, the woofs of the locals, she eventually caught the trail of the pale man walking.

I want to approach him, but how?

"Flo-"

A police officer comes and greets the pale man "Good evening, Mr. Arrenbach! How's work?"

"Good evening, officer. Business is good. I have been getting more clients lately." Freud says.

And so she waits.

.

.

.

"Alright, I have to resume my patrol now. Don't push yourself too hard, Mr. Arrenbach!" The police bid farewell.

"You too, officer." Freud answers back.