Chapter 17 | Berserker

3 a.m.

City Border (North)

A cloaked figure wanders the night.
Restless in his search for clues.
Though the future doesn't seem so bright.
His persistence shall break through this ruse.
Undeterred.
Rightfully, even without honor.

Freud POV

[Warning! Warning! You're approaching the end of the designated area. Leaving the city's premises results in instant disqualification. Are you sure you wish to proceed?]

The northern side too? Mount Seppiko is through this direction.

I keep walking back and forth, left and right, hoping to find a way around this 'invisible barrier'.

[Warning! Warning! You're approaching the end of the designated area. Leaving the city's premises results in instant disqualification. Are you sure you wish to proceed?]

Yet the same message rings through my head.

One may wonder if the sponsors place their base of operations on that mountain? Tis an ideal spot for a magus's workshop, filled to the brim with mystery and mana flow. However...

"Mount Seppiko is sacred to Shugenja. They do not allow outsiders to do anything on their turf."

The Grail is of no importance to the locals. They have their hands full for preserving their culture. I doubt the sponsors want them to get involved. I would not want that too, because Traditional Japanese 'Black Magic' happens to be effective against my kin.

With these recent findings, I come with 3 conclusions:

1.There is no Bounded Field covering the city. Anyone can go in and out without repercussions, except Master and Servant.
Either the sponsors have confidence that they have everything under control (including the Concealment of Mystery from the masses) or they have support from other organizations, i.e. the government? No-no, that is a groundless assumption, Freud! I am overthinking things...

2.There is a pre-generated telepathic message notifying Masters and possibly Servants whenever they threaded the city's border. How that works still remains a mystery (Command Spells? Curses? Mystic Codes? Specific/Unique Magecraft?).
This could be useful. Goading the other party to step outside the 'invisible' border is a possible win condition.

3.Because there is no Bounded Field or other magecraft of similar properties, communication outside the city is plausible, be it from magecraft or technology.
The sponsors must have some way to limit our reach, but they do not seem to care about it at all? Is it hubris? Or that they should not be worried because of the given assistance that I previously suggested?

"Urgh, I do not understand those fools' thought process..."

I can test my luck leaving the city, but I do not want to risk it at this moment. 'Curiosity kills the cat' as the saying goes?

{If this is a visual novel, the other choice leads to a bad end.}

Forcing myself to be satisfied with what I got, I decided to head back home.

*Rumbles*

"The earth... is moving?"

In a split second, I dive towards the ground, narrowly avoiding the monstrosity that emerges from below.

Berserker, Salome.

"Tis past your bedtime, princess. Should you desire a round 2 with me so late in the night, then I shall comply with open arms, but be warned! I am not-"