The Mermaid's Tale

"You're being serious," she said with a look of amazement, "you are going to make up a story, right now, just for me, with a topic I choose?"

"Well," I said while shrugging my shoulders, "I planned on it, but I can't if you don't give me a topic."

"Mermaids, Lee," she said enthusiastically, "tell me a story about mermaids."

"Once upon a time," I began, "There was..."

"Wait," she squealed, "you are really going to do this!"

"Once upon a time," I stated again, then winked at her, "there was a beautiful queen named Chrissy."

I heard her sigh as I began the story.

Queen Chrissy ruled a beautiful kingdom that was warm, bright with colors, and snuggled between a mountain and the ocean. She enjoyed walking along the edge of the water so she could feel the small waves crash around her feet.

One morning, during her daily walk, she sat on the shore, rested her chin on her bent knees, watched the sun begin to lower over the ocean, and sighed.

'Why do you sigh, my queen?' she heard from the trees behind her.

She turned to look and could only see thick foliage.

'Who is there,' she asked, 'who are you?'

'I am an ogre, my queen,' he said softly, 'there is no need to be afraid. I mean you no harm. I decided to remain hidden so I will not frighten you.'

'I did not ask what you are, I asked who you are,' she replied sternly, 'you have a name, do you not?'

'I do, my queen,' he replied quickly, 'It is Lee the ogre.'

Chrissy, looked over at me and playfully smacked me on the arm, and said, "You are not an ogre."

'Well, Lee,' she said, as I continued the story, 'would you stop hiding and come sit next to me?'

'My queen,' he said, 'I am not worthy enough to be in your presence. I only said something to you because I thought you were troubled and that is why you sighed.

'Worthy,' she said questionably, 'What is worth? I asked you to come and sit with me. If you do not wish to sit with me, I would be sad.'

With eyes cast downward, Lee the ogre stepped onto the beach and stood in front of queen Chrissy.

Lee the ogre looked as ogreish as an ogre can look. He was bald-headed, had a hairy chest and belly, strong legs, big hands, and an ugly face.

'Now that you have seen me,' he muttered, 'I will go now.'

'Do you not wish to sit with me,' she asked, 'Or does my appearance repulse you, Lee?'

'Oh, my queen,' he proclaimed as he approached and knelt next to her, 'your beauty draws me to you. I watch over you whenever you take your walks by the water. I make sure you are safe and nothing approaches you that could harm you. It is my looks that should repulse you. That is why I remain hidden. So your beautiful, dark eyes would not have to see something like me.'

'Sit next to me, Lee, she said softly, 'Please, come closer and sit next to me.'

Slowly, Lee, the ogre sat on the sand. Queen Chrissy patted the sand next to her and motioned for him to sit closer. When he did, she smiled at him, rested her chin on her knees as she looked at the water, and sighed.

'What troubles you, my queen,' said Lee the ogre sadly, 'are you troubled?'

She turned her head and rested her cheek on her knees as she looked at him. Her bright and lovely smile made him feel happy. Her dark eyes looked into his, directly and with intent. She did not look away in disgust. He was falling deeper into her, as she looked at him.