The Wedding is OFF!!!

My former captain approached me, gave me a long and strong hug, then whispered his congratulations in my ear.

"I'm proud of you, boy," he said, "I'm proud of you for getting help, moving forward, and being a positive example to all of us."

"Thanks, Cap," I responded, "If you wouldn't have set up the EAP session years ago, I wouldn't be here. I met her because of you. I can't thank you enough."

He gave me another long hug then told his crew to "pack it up and head home."

One of my former crew-mates approached me, gave me a hug, and informed me that I will receive all of the pictures in my email later.

"What pictures?" asked Chrissy.

"I had people taking pictures," I responded, "I hope you will like them. I even had the neighbors take videos and pictures too. I wanted to have as much of this, documented as possible."

We noticed Sarah had pulled Lisa aside and was attempting to have a conversation with her. Lisa was crying and turning her back to Sarah whenever Sarah would speak. I had never seen Lisa act this way and was puzzled at her perceived anger.

"What's going on with Lisa," I asked Chrissy, "She seems pretty upset."

"I have no idea," she said, "she's probably mad because she isn't allowed to ride in the fire truck or take a ride in the bucket of the ladder truck."

"I don't think that's it," I said as I held her hand and pulled her toward Lisa and Sarah, "she's crying pretty hard and looks really upset."

Lisa attempted to stop crying when we approached. She ignored me and then Chrissy when we asked what she was crying. Sarah shrugged her shoulders and held up her hands in the, "I give up", pose when we turned to her.

"She won't talk to me," Sarah said, "All I know is she didn't get hurt but she is mad about something."

I released Chrissy's hand, lowered myself to one knee making sure my height was slightly lower than Lisa's and rested my hands on my bent knee. It was a posture I assumed a lot of times when I had to work a medical scene before the medics arrived. By lowering myself below the sightline of the patient, it helped to comfort them slightly. They didn't have someone with authority looming over them, asking questions. It gave the appearance of a person that was of no threat and was willing to listen.

"Lisa," I said, "did I do something to upset you? Are you mad that I didn't tell you I was going to ask Chrissy to marry me?"

She stared at me, clenched her jaw, then straightened her arms at her side with balled fists.

"You are not my dad," she screamed, "You're not going to be my daddy."

She turned and ran into her house while screaming that I wasn't going to be her dad. After she slammed the door, Sarah and Chrissy looked at me with stunned faces.

"I am so sorry, Lee," said Sarah, "I don't know why she said that."

"I think we need to go in and talk to her," I said, "Actually, let me talk to her if you don't mind."

We waved goodbye to the firefighters and neighbors and then entered their house. Once we entered, we could hear Lisa crying from her bedroom. I gave Chrissy a kiss and mouthed, "wish me luck," then walked into Lisa's room and kneeled next to her bed.

About twenty minutes later we walked out of her room with Lisa laughing and me smiling. She punched me in the arm and then went to the backyard so she could jump on her trampoline. Chrissy and Sarah looked at me with a look of confusion on their faces.