Chapter XX - Run After

"I've finally caught up to you, Kisaki!" Takemichi proclaims, staring Kisaki down with a determination that disabled him from having any second thoughts.

Kisaki refuses to confront Takemichi through fighting. He can't even fight himself. If he were, his chances of losing this very night was high. Hence the reason why he runs the opposite direction that Takemichi and (Y/n) stand.

(Y/n) is already making a move. "Don't you run!" But the second she runs, her legs get all wobbly, and drop her to the floor. It was as though there was some heavy weight that overwhelmed her body completely. 'Shit! I can't..!' She winces at the throbbing pain of her right arm, hovering her opposite over her wound.

Takemichi doesn't hesitate to tend to his childhood friend. He doesn't seek for approval when he demands to her. "Get on my back, (Y/n)!" He crouches down in front of her, facing his back towards her.

(Y/n)'s eyes go wide, anticipating that Takemichi was going to go off on his own. "Takemichi..."

"Hurry!" Takemichi insists. "If we're going to take down Kisaki, we're going to do it together, right? He's hurt both of us. Therefore, both of us have to fight him."

(Y/n) cracks a small smile. "Yeah..." She manages to secure herself onto Takemichi's back, allowing him to do most of the work when they try to chase down Kisaki.

Kisaki could see the two closing in on him, his lack of speed being visible to the two that he despises. "Shit!" He didn't think that they would actually manage to catch up to him. At this point, he was too desperate to make an escape rather than make a logic plan and think things through.

"I'm sorry, Takemichi..." (Y/n) apologizes in advance. "If I hadn't played around with Kisaki and Izana...things would've been much easier for us..."

"That's nothing to apologize for." Takemichi says otherwise. "You did amazing, despite everything's that happened." (Y/n) frowns at this compliment, not agreeing. "This entire time...since the day you figured out that I was a time leaper...you've done everything to protect Toman. I only did the bare minimum, but you did so much more." A smile reappears on his face that night.

"Even before you joined Toman, you were always protecting me." Takemichi mentions, his smile stretching outwards. He tightens his hold on the girl he carries with caution and chuckles lightly. "You even carried me like this back then. Because I was always crying, whenever I got into fights."

(Y/n) hums. "That's right..." She remembers how loud Takemichi was when he cried as a child. Looking back at it now, she finds it amusing that he had depended on her so much, when it should've been the other way around.

"But, this time..." Takemichi continues. "I'm gonna protect you. And your future." (Y/n) reacts with a dumbfounded look. "It isn't just about Toman's happiness. But yours, too. Because you're one of the many people, in my life...that deserves the best future there is." He replaces his easy-going expression with a serious one. "That's why, I'll continue to fight desperately! This time, with you!"

(Y/n) nods firmly. "Yeah!" With Takemichi by her side, she was confident that things would go their favor. At least for a good minute; for she had heard the incoming footsteps that come from behind. She follows her gaze to the pattering of the shoes that echoes the street and locks eyes with the one responsible before yelling. "Takemichi! Behind you!"

Takemichi turns his body to the person that (Y/n) warns him of, Hanma. He's quick to deflect the pole that Hanma is equipped with, cancelling out the force of the solid object. In the process of doing so, his grip on (Y/n) loosens.

(Y/n) lands safely, her knees bent while crouched down. She uses her uninjured hand to keep herself stable after the near fall. She clicks her tongue at Hanma's sudden appearance, annoyed that he was persistent in helping Kisaki. 'For fuck sake...!' She tilts her head to Takemichi. "Takemichi! You go after Kisaki! I'll deal with Hanma!"