part 23

"Fetch Bella" Ant ordered as he threw the ball for the dog to chase.

Bella's owner had informed Ant that she was very well trained and had great recall,but it was up to him if he was comfortable letting her off the lead just yet.

After walking her for a while and making sure she listened to him,Ant was now comfortable doing so.

"Do you want to give it a go?" Ant asked,offering the ball to Dec,after Bella had retrieved it once again.

"Er...no,it's ok" Dec replied,as he sidled up close to Ant "you carry on"

"Dec" Ant laughed "why are you walking so close to me?you're practically in my pocket"

"Sorry" Dec mumbled,looking around cautiously.

Ant hadn't noticed Nick and Nick hadn't noticed either Ant or Dec and Dec hoped it would stay that way,but for some reason he felt anxious.

He knew he didn't have any reason to be,but he couldn't help it,coming face to face with your bully was never easy for anyone.

Dec didn't take his eyes off Nick and wasn't really listening to anything Ant was saying.

"Dec...DEC" Ant said "got your head in the clouds haven't you?come on,look,Bella wants to play with you"

Bella had laid her ball at Dec's feet,who absent mindededly kicked it gently.

"Is that it?" Ant laughed,picking up the ball and throwing it as far as he could manage.

"Can we go now?" Dec asked "we've been here a while,She's had a good run around"

"Really?" Ant frowned "thought you were enjoying it?"

"I am" Dec insisted "I guess I'm just tired"

"Ok" Ant sighed "let's give it another five minutes,then we can head off,ok?"

"Ok" Dec nodded,knowing he had no reasonable argument for that compromise.

"It's such a lovely day" Ant
stated,taking a deep breath of the fresh spring air and looking around at his surroundings "oh"

Dec followed Ant's eye line,which was resting firmly on Nick.

"So that's why you're acting so cagey?" Ant frowned.

Dec didn't reply,he didn't know what to say.

"Come on" Ant grinned "let's go and say hello"

"What?" Dec asked shocked.

"Watch this" Ant ordered mischievously.

"NICK" Ant called out and practically ran towards his former friend and partner,with Dec close behind,who was trying desperately to stay in Ant's shadow.

"Nice to see you Nick" Ant smiled "how are you?"

"Umm...yeah,hi Ant,Dec" Nick muttered "nice to see you too...er...I'm fine,how are you?"

"I'm brilliant" Ant replied confidently "and so is Dec,aren't you Dec?"

"Y...yes" Dec stuttered "I'm fine"

"He's more than fine" Ant grinned "he's amazing,we've just got back from the Maldives,we've set up our own dog walking company and he's back in touch with his family"

"That's good" Nick replied awkwardly "so,you're not at the law firm anymore?"

"Nope" Ant beamed "had enough of the rat race,I'm fulfilling mine and Dec's dreams with our new venture and I couldn't be happier,where are you working now?"

"Oh,I'm kind of in between jobs at the moment" Nick muttered.

"Really?" Ant asked "not found your calling yet?"