Chapter 6

'The next week at school I didn't see Sam at all. At first I thought he was doing what I said and leaving me alone. However, at work I heard he had some family emergency and would be gone all week. People at school had already started spreading rumors. One person said he got thrown in jail. Someone else said he thought he was too good for school. Sara said he was too intimidated by her. Others said he was trying to get away from her.

So I was very surprised when I found Sam sitting on my porch when I went to get the paper Saturday morning. I had always been an early riser, so it was only seven in the morning. My dad was already at work, and my mom and sister, being completely opposite of me, were still asleep.

"Sam?" I asked as I quickly pulled my hair in a pony tail trying to make myself look presentable. I don't know why I cared what Sam thought, but I did it anyway. "What are you doing here? Chris said you were outta town with some family emergency."

"I was, just got back last night," Sam replied still sitting on the porch steps, with his back to me. I walked off the porch and then turned towards the house to face him. He was dressed up. He was wearing nice black dress pants, a nice black button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Beside him sat what looked like a black jacket for a suit with a dark red tie hanging a little out of a pocket.

"Sam... How long have you been here?"

Sam looked up at me. He didn't respond right away instead it looked as if he was studying me. "Since I got back in town," he sighed when he finally answered.

"Wait, you said you got back last night. Do you mean to tell me you've been here all night?"

"Well since one," then he paused before adding "Your dad seems nice,"

"Are you kidding me?" I asked a little harshly. I didn't even know why I was still standing here talking to him. I was supposed to hate him, right? "What do you want, Sam? Why are you here?"

Sam stood up, walked up to me, and held up my wrist with one hand. With his other he ran his fingers along my wrist. His touch gave me butterflies, which I tried to shake off. "We need to talk Riley," he said softly.

As soon as he said it I quickly pulled my arm back, and the butterflies went away. "I'm not talking about this again," Then I started to walk back up the stairs to the porch.

"Well then let's just talk," Sam said from behind me. When I didn't respond he went on. "Maybe you were right, maybe I am the crazy one, but if I am it's because of you," I didn't turn to face him but I was listening. "You make me feel, Riley" he paused "I've been numb for so long...but...when I'm with you I just... I feel again." At this point he was behind me. He put his hands on my shoulders and turned me around to face him. "So maybe I am crazy. Maybe there is something wrong with me, I don't know..." He shook his head. "I don't even know why am I telling you all of this... but you make me feel... and I don't know why," he sighed and paused again, then smiled and added, "Besides we have to get to know each other for our acting project and I know you won't willingly fail a project. You don't seem like that type."

He was right, grades were important to me. Plus, what he had just said confused me. What did he mean he I made him feel? How could someone not feel? "Give me thirty minutes," I sighed as I turned back to the door. "Would you like to wait inside?"

"Nah, I'm fine out here," he replied. I shrugged and went inside to get a quick shower.

When I was finished getting ready I looked in the mirror and smiled in triumph. I had on my favorite clothes. Clothes that made my body look awesome, showing off my curves. I had done my makeup perfectly making my deep blue eyes pop. My wavy hair lay perfectly at my shoulders. I had made myself look the best I could. I wondered briefly why I had done this but quickly pushed it aside, and headed outside.