Chapter 30

I was glad when Saturday finally arrived. No work, no school, just Jay and me hanging out together like old times. "Hey, Jay," I said, when he walked in the door. "So what are we doing today?" I turned around to face him and was greeted with a smile.

"It's a surprise," he said, and held up my winter coat, gloves, scarf, and hat. "But you're gonna need these." I eyed him questionably, but took my belongings from him and led the way out the door.

"So you really aren't going to tell me?" I asked sitting in the passenger seat of his car.

He smiled, "I'll give you a hint. We are going to do something old, something new, and something we normally do."

"What?"

He laughed, "You'll see." I rolled my eyes, crossed my arms and sat there quietly while we drove to our destination.

When he finally slowed the car to a stop, I looked up and my eyes grew. "Oh my gosh," I said softly. I knew where we were instantly.

"You remember?" Jay asked.

"Of course," I nodded, as we both got out of the car. "It looked a lot bigger when we were younger." We were standing in front of the snow covered hill that our parents used to take us to on the weekends when we were younger. We used to love to go sledding there and would spend hours doing so.

"It will seem bigger when we start climbing," he said, walking to the trunk of his car.

"What?" I asked. Instead of answering he held up a sled that looked similar to the one we used to ride together. I laughed, "I don't think we both are going to fit on there now."

"That's why I brought another one," He chuckled.

I looked back up at the hill that was covered in fresh snow, just for us. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah," he said, handing me one of the sleds. "It'll be fun."

I took the sled from him and smiled. I was glad to have a break from everything that had been going on and just have fun, like old times. Before I became interested in guys, before I got in fights with my friends, before I had to deal with death, and before I had to deal with everyone else's feelings. I started to run up the hill. As I passed Jay, I said, "Race ya!" Jay laughed and started to run after me. I could sense that something was wrong. He was upset about something, but I pushed it away and ignored it. For once I wanted to try and be normal again, even if it was just for a few hours.

After several times going down the hill we made our way back up once again. When we got to the top we stood there breathing heavy, but smiling and laughing at all the fun we were having. "I have an idea..." Jay said. "...for our last run down."

"Already?" I asked.

Jay laughed, "We've been here for over two hours."

"So?" I asked, not ready to go back to reality.

"So, we have other stuff to do."

"Fine," I said. "What's your idea?"

He smiled, "Give me your sled."

"What?"

"Just give it to me." He laughed. I handed my sled over to him and then watched as he pushed it down the hill. I gave him a questioning look and he laughed.

He then sat down on his sled and said, "Get on."

I laughed, "You're kidding right?"

He looked at me for a moment then smiled. "Nope." I still didn't move so he added, "Come on, it'll be fun."