Chapter 27

Due to lack of sleep, the next day at school was horrible. At the end of the day I was relieved that I had made it through all my classes without falling asleep. However, I still had to make it through my first day back at work since Rachel's death. Luckily it was a slow one.

By 9 o'clock Sam and I were working alone. Sam and I pretty much kept our relationship out of the work place. Everyone knew that we were dating, but we didn't really act like we were at work. Although every now and then when we were working alone, we let the act fall.

"Tables are all wiped down," Sam said from behind me. I was in the back switching the recently cleaned rags into the dryer. "Is there anything else you want me to do, boss?" he asked, as he came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. He brought his lips to my ears then added in a whisper, "anything at all? I could really use the hours." His lips traveled from my ear down my neck.

I closed the dryer and smiled knowing there wasn't much left to do. I turned around and faced him. "I'm sure I can think of something for you to do." I replied. Just as I was about to press my lips against his, the sound of the door opening maybe me stop.

Sam sighed, his shoulders dropped, and a frown formed on his face. "I got it," he said, reluctantly.

"I'll get it." I smiled, and then pointed to the sink. "You can finish up the rest of the dishes."

"Right away boss," Sam said, with his smiling returning to his face

"How can I help yo-" I started but stopped when the person turned around to face me. The instant I saw Evan standing there my posture, facial expression, and tone of voice changed. "What do you want?" I asked.

"For you to listen to me," Evan replied.

"If listening to you means taking an order, then fine. Otherwise you should leave." I told him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Please, Riley, you don't understand," he tried.

"You're right I don't. I don't understand what the heck you and Sara are up to, but I don't care. So if you are not here to order then leave."

"Riley. . ." he started.

"What are you doing here?" Sam's voice came from behind me.

"I'm not here to pick a fight with you, Sam."

"Considering you have been trying to get in my girl's pants since the day you got here, I'd say you already picked a fight." Sam snapped, now standing beside me.

"Sam." I said. trying to stop him.

"Riley, why don't you go to the back and get the closing paperwork started. I'll finish up here." Sam said, keeping his eyes on Evan. I felt Evan's anger start to rise.

"Sam, I'm fine." I answered.

"Yeah, Sam, she's fine." Evan said.

"I wasn't talking to you, Evan!" Sam snapped.

I watched his fist clench by his side. "Sam," I said, softly, as I placed my hand on his. Sam's eyes traveled to mine and I saw him relax a little. "It's okay."

Sam nodded and took a deep breath. He let his walls down to show me that he had started to calm down. "I've got it," he replied softly.

I looked back and forth between Sam and Evan. Sam was still angry but controlling it, and Evan's anger was rising. Nodding to Sam I said, "I'm gonna go start the paperwork."

"You're just gonna let him tell you what to do?" Evan asked harshly.

Ignoring Evan's comment I looked at the clock and saw that it was getting close to closing. I looked back at Sam and repeated myself this time sounding more like the manager. "I need to start the paper work. Sam take care of the customer then continue cleaning up." Then I turned and walked to the back, without looking back at either of them.